Author Topic: Home Guard Yellow Fishing - Got one! 1-25-15  (Read 16587 times)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Home Guard Yellow Fishing - Got one! 1-25-15
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:53 AM »
Took a chance Sunday the weather would lay down here in San Diego, especially just off-shore where the wind boundaries do battle during these Santa Anna conditions. The bet paid off and conditions off La Jolla were simply amazing. Best water I've seen in a while.

Launched at Dana and got word the bait barge wasn't selling to private boaters. We planned to sabiki Macs for the YT, but also wanted sardines for Halibut. Oh well.

Started out the channel and the swell was still up from the day before. Breakers on both sides, along the Inside of the Jetty walls  :o :o  There were a couple of 7-9 ft swells rolling through, but those were short lived as conditions were absolutely flat by 8 or 9a.

Headed straight out of Mission Bay using our GPS (other boats) and quickly found the Mac farm around 70ft of water. Loaded up the bait tank with both Spanish and Greens, then headed towards the 260ft spot again using our GPS System (other boats)  ;D ;D. The fleet quickly grew to 30+ boats with only one sporty on the prowl (Sea Watch). Everyone was moving and moving looking for the fish. We found the black blobs of what we believe were the pelagic crabs and set up our drift with Iron and dropper loop Macs. Blobs were out in 330ft ... and that's where the fleet ended up for the entire morning.

Did I mention the flat, calm, greasy ocean???

We baited and waited and dropped the yo-yo over and over and over and over and ... (sigh) and ....... got tired ... Did manage 4 Bocaccio but no photos :-) out of season :-)

No Yellows being caught anywhere. Started scratching our heads wondering what's up, when the Sea Watch parks 100 yards away from us and instantly hooks up. Bendo Bendo Bendo ... gafs over the rail .... toads coming up CRAAAPP~~~!!!!  :-\ :-\  >:( >:( >:( . No one else was catching squat. Party boat made quick work of the school then moved on. Didn't really see them make another stop all morning, but that action was enough to keep the parking lot tight. We make a few moves and pass by a single boater finally hooked up on the right kind. Watch him boat an absolute TOAD then break out in dance, yelling out to the wind - YEAH Baby!!! That's How I do IT!!!! LOL ... ;D ;D. We ask what he used "dropper green right on the bottom" and set up about 50 yards away (or so) ... drop our three rigs (gave up on yo-yo at this point) and waited.

Roughly 2 minutes go by and Paul doesn't like where his rod is sitting, so walks it to the other side. He goes complete BENDO while doing this. Holy Crap! he's on with a solid fish. Didn't rip line, but wouldn't budge for a while - Joy of fishing 300ft +. Fished kicked his ass ...  :o ;D. We both agreed it was good we spooled up with fresh 40lb the night before. Battle went on, give and take, I thought it was a BSB at one point with the slow steady pull ... but then the fish woke up and gave one final drag burn .... YELLOW!!  ;D ;D ;D

The fight ...

The WIN!  ;D   Went 25lbs on the scale ..

We stuck around for another hour looking for action, but didn't see any fish after that. Tried a few different spots but were happy with the score considering what other people were doing. Cut for the barn and headed home. Washed the boat, poured some c*cktails, and Paul got to de-virgin-ize his Christmas purchase. Folding cutting board table with working faucet and drain. Pretty sweet actually  ;) :) :) :)

Boat ran ok, but the list of "to-do's" is growing exponentially. Engine, decking, tires ... bleh. Need to find a day and just knock this stuff out.

Fun times, and good luck to anyone who heads out!

Tight Lines ~
Aloha

WMB
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:43:13 PM by WheresMyBeer »

Rammer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: Home Guard Yellow Fishing - Got one! 1-25-15
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
Stoked with my first yellowtail of 2015!!!  8)
Rammer
Rammer

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Congrats on your first yellow of the year Boss!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
That is a pretty fishy boat. Congrats.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »
Nice goin 8)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »
Still need to figure out how to work less, fish more, and still make the same $$ or more ...

Haven't quite figured out the formula though I'm sitting on about 2 months worth of banked vacation time  :o

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:20:22 PM »
SWEET MOSSBACK!