Author Topic: Mining for Silver (5/27)  (Read 1407 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mining for Silver (5/27)
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »
Well, I fell asleep early on Saturday and decided to hit Mission Bay before first light to try and find some silver.

I went around the entire island throwing the topwater and only had needlefish show any interest.  The tide was filling in and I realized I didn't have one stinking fish, so I cruised to the rocks to see if I could get a bass and maybe a vina for the last hour of fishing.

Generally it was slow and I started using the cheater sauce.  I finally get on the board with a cookie cutter spotty.

I keep working my way up and get slammed on the drop!  I fight it to shore and see it a 15 inch-ish corvina that is barely hooked.  I climbed down the rocks to hand grab him, but threw the hook soon as I touched him.  Not a big one, but target acquired. 

I moved down the rocks a little more and got slammed!  I knew this was a bass, but it's bigger than what I've usually been catching lately.

I keep moving, but try using the swimmy in a bouncing twitching motion instead of straight rolling it in.  Bam!  Corvina number two!

Again, just a little guy, but target species!

A little further and I catch a pee-pee bass.  Not really worth pulling the camera phone out.  So, I am at 5 fish and start working my way back.  I'm doing a hard twitch and fall when my line gets thumped and starts screaming out!  No head shakes, no tail beats, just straight screaming out.  I'm assuming I snagged a bat ray or a big butterfly ray.  I started getting a crowed following me as I was running down the rocks to catch up to it.  It finally found a rocks and got wedged in it.  I tried letting it swim out, but the line was definitely wedged and all he did was keep swimming and busted the line.  Oh well, that was it for me since all the weekend warriors were starting to get on the water and create a mess.

That's it.  Not a bad Saturday Morning and until next tide...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Mining for Silver (5/27)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
I just can't get myself to do light line stuff lately. Too obsessed with grinners I guess. Surf has been awful.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »
Congrats on the 'silver ones', bummer the swimbait head is hiding its teeth   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:07:46 PM »
The pros use the sauce, it ain't cheating, it's fishing.

Don't leave home without it ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?