Author Topic: VC Bat Fight Report 3/31/18  (Read 2992 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
VC Bat Fight Report 3/31/18
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »
Team VC consisted of only my dad, my son, and myself.

I really didn't have any time to scout any spots this year so when conditions looked good when we rolled up to the first spot at about 10am we got set up and went to work. This is still a new spot for me but I knew it had good potential and this time it paid off. Conditions were foggy and overcast, light breaze, little current and barely any surf. The only thing that didn't look good was the water was still a bit brown. We set up five rods with squid and Mac. 10 minutes after setting up, dad gets a run and puts a 37" bat on the sand. 5 minutes after releasing it, he gets a knock down on his other rod and this one goes 48".

Notice he's still smiling here, he caught 7 of the 10 bats and is hurting pretty good today.

I finally get a good run that feels really heavy. After fighting it for awhile I passed the rod to Logan to finish the fight. He did an awesome job playing the fish but I had to ease up on the drag a bit so it didn't drag him out to sea!

I finally got my hands on it and we measured it as our biggest of the day at 48.5"

The action was pretty steady all day and at one time we had a double of 37" & 47" bats going. Logan tag teamed many of them with us and did an awesome job cutting bait, baiting hooks, and playing fish.

I'd had two knock downs that I was convinced were sharks and briefly hooked one that surfaced so knew they were out there. When dad landed one of the smaller bats I quickly dispatched it and carved off a good size chunk. I got a really good cast and let it soak for probably an hour. At about 6:00 the patience paid off as I saw my rod tip bow and then go slack. I brought the line tight and set the circle hook securely in the corner of his jaw. He instantly surfaced, thrashing on the surface and taking a couple good runs. I handed the rod off to Logan and the shark jumped two or three more times as he fought it.

Once it was in the wash I grabbed the tail and slid it up on the beach.

Logan was as stoked as I was! He even came over to touch it. This male 7gill measured out at 94"! After a couple of pics I got it unhooked and back in the water for a clean release.

My dad and I both said this was one our best days fishing and I'm pretty sure Logan agreed.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading.
Tom, thank you for putting on this great event! 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:47:01 PM by xjchad »

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: VC Bat Fight Report 3/31/18
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »
Wow, that was an awesome session guys! Sounds like you guys picked the right spot. That is a legit shark at 94". Might be the biggest this year.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »
That's a hell of a grinner!! Best fishing day ever!! That pic of your son on the rod should be framed.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »
Wow, that was an awesome session guys! Sounds like you guys picked the right spot. That is a legit shark at 94". Might be the biggest this year.

We don't get the quantities you guys do down there, but all 6 of mine have been over 80".

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
That pic of your son on the rod should be framed.
Great idea!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
Nice family team.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »
Great report and Pics VC Clan!

I'll have to get to work on the shark list soon as the numbers are just piling up!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 04:32:18 AM »
The picture of the kid going bendo is priceless, thanks for sharing.  Nice seven
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
Awesome report Chad! Love the bendo shot of your son. Heck of a day for sure!

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
Your report is what it's all about. One day like that, 3 generations, makes the memories of all the bad days fade away 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:52:35 AM »
It was definitely a great day for sure!
Can't wait for the next one!