Author Topic: Surf casting rod for long bombing artificials  (Read 17948 times)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Surf casting rod for long bombing artificials
« on: January 12, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
Looking to get a beefy surf casting rod, to long bomb some artificial baits. (surface irons, big plastic,crocs, cranks ect.) any suggestions.  I want it for surf fishing Cabo and hawaii,  but plan on doing some out of the box stuff with it around San Diego.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Re: Surf casting rod for long bombing artificials
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49:33 AM »
Been doing it for a little bit myself. 12ft star rods stellar, 20-40lb with a sealine x 50hv and 35lb mono. I can throw 3oz rangers about 70-80yrds with a headwind and lose sight of salas 6x JRs. (I fish off of cliffs, but low to The water.).

Very efficient and easy.

If your looking for big GTs you'll need high drag numbers and a reel to handle it. If your looking for roosters and misc. fish under 20lbs go with a 40 size bait caster (saltist BG or sealine would be my preference) and an 11-12ft graphite rod. Penn torque and prevail are good candidates and not expensive.

If your thinking about submerging your reels and swimming to rocks then look into sealed spinners. Van staals are on sale now due to the new models. A 150 is going for $500 at charkbait. The penn torques are a real winner. I'm picking up a TRQS5 this weekend for my skishing excursions. Stay away from the diawas and shimanos with "magsealed" technology. It's a lube that seals by using magnets but still allows debris to get in (ie. Sand) it just keeps water from getting in on a rough boat ride.
Keep it tight

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »
Cool and thanks, I think im looking for a spinning outfit though.  where are you fishing San Diego?
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
I'm in Okinawa    ;D I'll be in SoCal next month though.  I have some toro tamer subsurface swimmers if like to try for halibut with a long rod.
Keep it tight

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
Check out the daiwa Catalina. It's basically a saltiga with less flash. As long as you don't plan on jumping in the surf with it you will be fine. Alan hawk did a review on it and said he regrets ever recommending the saltiga to anyone since the Catalina was introduced.

If your going to get crazy with it then I would recommend a VS or torque. VS is a slow reel though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:30:18 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
Cool thanks Chris,  Thats a bit more than I want to spend right now.  possibly in the future, if things pan out a little. what do you think of this rod and reel set up?
http://www.lamiglas.com/?page_id=323
http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/game/ultegra.html

GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
I got really curious about this because I want to get a reel that I can change out for jigging and land based fishing (no swimming or dunking, treat it like a normal reel but one that can stand some abuse).  I'm interested in this one for 30lb braid and Tossing lighter lures. After a bit of research and a night browsing SOL and BD the penn spin fisher V looks very promising. It has a sealed drag and supposedly the body is sealed but the rotar isn't. So you can put it in a rod holder on the side gunnel of a boat and cruise around at 30mph all day and not worry about your reel being full of water from the spray. Works the same for waves too :) .

I'm thinking about the 4500 size, but you'll want something a bit larger. 7500LC maybe? I definitely recommend a 100yrd mono topshot if you use braid.

I like those lamiglas rods you posted. Especially the heavier 10fter.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:00:33 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »
The spinfisher looks great.  its about 4 in. of line slower, but other than that about the same as the ultegra and its sealed body..
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »
You see my reply to your post on BD?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
You cheat'n on PS by posting on Bloody Diapers? ...  ;D ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:55:44 PM »
I pump out my sh!tty reports to all! Lol! BD has a good Baja section, with very few dbags like in the rest of BD.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »
Lol, Yes I did.   I really only post of bd in the mexico section...Leaving on thursday might go with wesley on sat, so I can hit a bunch of beaches. 
I ended up getting this rod for a starter  http://www.lamiglas.com/?page_id=323

And this reel.. http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/game/ultegra.html

only cost me 300 bucks for the pair.  Took the set up out yesterday to practice casting and it took a while to get used to the spinning reel and long rod but got it down and can bomb that thing way out  with a 3oz ranger.  the reel has that goofy line wind so it casts a mile and has a fast retrieve.  cant wait to get going.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
Good pairing! Never heard of that reel, but the specs are perfect for Cabo. Can't wait to see a report! You're gonna kill the sierras for sure!! Cast your ass off, time flies with Wes, especially if you have to drive to different locations.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
I will cast my ass off for sure.  im still a little sore from casting practice.lol
GET OUT AND GET BIT..