Author Topic: One of the Nicer Bites in a While! (3/20)  (Read 3786 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
One of the Nicer Bites in a While! (3/20)
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
Steve and i fished Monday Night for nothing but clumps of weeds.  We tried a different spot, but it just was not on point.

Last night we decided to try a different beach.  We were set up in the zone and baits were out.  I finally get a screamer and was thinking Soupfin until a dark shadow shows up behind us from the beach and it's Binh! My "Soupfin" started bum-rushing the beach which totally keyed me in that it was a leopard instead.  It was my first leopard in a year and broke a 2 month sharkless streak.  Big boy measured out to 61".  The males are ornery right now and quite slimy for some reason.  I don't remember them being this slimy in the past?

Binh sets up next to me and on his first cast get a big bite.  Damn Circle hooks.....  It was a bruiser 89.5" female Sevengill!  (Incoming/mack/1'-2' surf)

I get a screamer and tried willing it to be a Sevengill, but it started acting funny.  I haven't got a surf bat ray in over a year so was not as familiar with the fight, but there was the slimy bastard in all her glory!  SNBF-XI.... Theses are some good signs.

I must have had my hook turn to rubber after that as i lost 4 in a row.  A few appeared to be Bats or leopard bites, but one was my first Sevengill in two months!  After a few minutes of battle, he was thrashing at the surface and his tail whacked the hook out of his mouth on a thrash.  Man, this was demoralizing...  I was running to the rod too early and not letting them take the bait long enough?  Who knows, but just then Mike shows up and hooks a small Sevengill!  Damn it! LOL
It was about 5' I think he said, but he'll piggyback some pics after this post is done to confirm.  He did yell at me "Time to update the Shark List Tom!  That's Two for me the last Two Nights!".  Between that,Binh's fatty sevengill, and me losing so many fish, I was getting demoralized.  Steve couldn't take it and made a move to try and improve his luck.  The red tide was in full effect as the waves were bitch'en and glowing blue!

While Steve couldn't get bit... and Mike steadily getting his mojo on... and me losing fish... Binh was racking up the Leopard sharks!  I know he got two, but I think he caught three while we were just sitting in our chairs waiting!  He'll post those pics as they were on his phone.

Steve and Binh packed it in and I'm not working yet so stayed out with Mike to capitalize on the good bite.  The tide switched and Mike pulled in two fatty leopard sharks.  One he thought was a Soupie until we landed it, so it equaled out my bat ray that I was hoping was a shark.  lol.  Once again, I think Mike has the pics on his phone he will add to this post later.

Finally i had a big takedown... and it actually stayed on the hook!  LOL

Big 90" Male Sevengill.  I was so thankful for Mike helping out as it's been a rough dry spell and just to see it again got my blood pumping and hearty racing. 

Mike and I had a few more bites.  I basically set the hook on my rod for fun and all of a sudden something was there!  I felt it come to the surface and heard a flop or two and thought sevengill, but it was weird it was just sitting on it.  Half-way in and it pops off.  I thought 7, but Mike came up with the more plausible answer as it was probably just a bat ray sitting on the bait and I heard a wing flop on the surface.

We fished until 1am before packing it in and heading home.  It's been a long time since I stayed up that late fishing the surf.  Thanks Mike for the company and it was great fishing with you.  Even though the 4 of us lost a bunch of fish, it was still action and pretty non-stop for much of the night.  I'll get you list updated later.  LOL

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: One of the Nicer Bites in a While! (3/20)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
Nice 7gill Tom! Way to stay with it and make the most of the hot bite. Circle hooks are our friends.  ;)

P.S. My 7gill was a male (See pic)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »
Stayed way too late. Not even a bite. Dragging today, but at least it's c*cktail Wednesday so I can relax.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:17:09 AM »
Inspite of the losses, it was a great fishing night. Veterans and the up and the up and coming! Better luck next time Steve. Actually, I like that you're not catching anything, lets me gain some ground  ;) I'll post pics soon. Still trying to figure out the fangled phone.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
Absolutely awesome guys, the 61" leo is super impressive.  Congrats to all of you...........except Steve   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
Damn guys, nice job!  Good reminder that I need a proper leo.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
Right on guys!  Stellar night for sure!  Wish I could get out there, too many dang reels to fix now LOL!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
Here you go, she's just a wee lass, but it adds to my total.

And the leo

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:03:39 PM »
Nice ones Mike!!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:20 AM »
I was like  "Damn-it! He got another!!!" when i realized it was a small Sevengill!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »
I was like  "Damn-it! He got another!!!" when i realized it was a small Sevengill!  lol

Only a matter of time!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
Bluh bluh bluh bluh .. nice .. ugh so Jelly!!  8) 8) 8) :-[