Author Topic: Tuesday Night Noodling Sevengills (3/27)  (Read 3522 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Tuesday Night Noodling Sevengills (3/27)
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
Well, things are starting to get better now that I start my new job on Monday.  Getting any sort of income besides unemployment will be a welcome feeling.  I can't meet up with Steve when I used to do to having to watch my kid while I'm home, but Steve does a quick scout of places before heading to grab some grub before I get to the beach.

Steve made a call on a spot and there was a fair amount of grass and kelp in the water, but nothing unbearable.  I was apparently in the "Weed Zone" as every cast was getting basket balls on the shock leader knot, but Steve was coming out pretty much unscathed.   Then Steve get a knock down.  Definite Sevengill.  For some reason, this shark got caught up in current or something and ran down the beach.  I get 80+ yards down the beach following it and realize Steve hasn't moved from his rod holder! lol, he finally started making his way down, but that didn't let him give me the honors of dragging the shark all the way back to his gear.  It was a feisty male at 60".  Pretty damn fat for a 60" fish also and it was on the prowl for some girl shark lovin.  Big 'grats to Squatch for breaking the dry spell he's been on.  Not to mention climbing one more ahead of Mike to keep him at bay!  LOL

I get a knockdown, but it didn't stick and swiped my bait.  Not long after and Steve is on again!  This one was bigger and Steve worked it pretty good so it didn't take off down the beach.  Sevengill #2!!!  75" male! (The female has to be somewhere around here!) His shark wrapped him up good in the line and he quickly cut it loose.  Having to retie might have caused the sharks to investigate my offerings.  hahaha

Steve gets one more knockdown on the next cast and it's just getting brutal when you have nothing on the sand yet.  I'm stoked for him, but part of you just wants ONE fish!  LOL

I then finally get on the board with a legal bug at high tide.  Steve's fish were on the incoming tide and mine were about to be on the outgoing.

Steve was using some beautiful store bought mack while I was still going through some of the bonito that I caught late last year.  I finally get another real hit and it sticks!  I could feel it was a nicer fish, but it was a handful.  Steve finally gets his mitts on it and it's a fat 82" male full of piss and vinegar!

Trying to get these things to stay straight is almost impossible at times.

Two casts later on a big chunk of Bonito and I'm on again!  This one was ripping line a little better, but was rolling and tail slapping like hell!  I finally get him into some more shallow water when my line snaps!  I tell Steve to grab it, but it's in waist deep water trying to get back.  I jumped in and saw the tail, but that meant it was right on me.  Just then it's head bumps my thigh and I freak, but Steve grabbed my rod and I reached in and tail grabbed that bastard!  What a frightening, yet exhilarating experience!  LOL  Holy sh!t!!!!

We saw that it's dorsal fin has been torn by probably another shark and started to heal over.  It looks like my line got stuck in there like a line cutter and snapped me off!  In any case, I beached the 75" male bastard!

You can see his dorsal that was notched from here...

So not a bad night.  We cast out a few more baits and called it the night.  Not bad for 3 hours of fishing.  We went 4 for 6 for the night and things pretty much went our way for once this year.

Well, thanks for reading and remember.... the Saturday Night Bat Fight is this week, so start targeting Bats!  Leave the grinners alone!  LOL

Until next tide.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday Night Noodling Sevengills (3/27)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
Horny looking sharks ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »
Hot f'ing dog!!!! Its heating up!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
WOW! What a great night guys! Congrats!
Tom, that reminds me of my first 7gill, haha, did the same thing.  line snapped in thigh deep water and I grabbed the tail just in time.  I screamed like a girl when that thing turned and came back at me  ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
It was a hell of a night. The free swimmer tail grab was nuts. Glad you got it. Truthfully, I don't think I wanted to grab it as much as you did.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
Great session guys! Hoping for a repeat tomorrow. Mike, you better get on it. Steve is pulling away again.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »
Great session guys! Hoping for a repeat tomorrow. Mike, you better get on it. Steve is pulling away again.  ;)

But I can't gain any ground on Tom.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:18:19 PM »
The free swimmer tail grab was nuts. Glad you got it.

I'm speechless................Tom, you are a man among men    8)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:19:45 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
Wow congrats guys.  8) 8) 8)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
Nice job guys!  I like the action shot with the one curled back going for Tom.  That boy is thick!!

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
Glad to hear about the new job, Tom!
Very nice catches from the both of you! Keep em coming!