Author Topic: Almost Back to Back Monster Butts! (1/10)  (Read 15098 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Almost Back to Back Monster Butts! (1/10)
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »
I had plans change on me late on Friday night and had to figure what I wanted to do Saturday.  I made a quick two texts to be rejected and just went to bed as I wasn't even still sure I was going to fish or not.

I woke up extra early and decided to see if I could find another big halibut and strike when the iron is hot!  I prepped the boat at O' dark Thirty and got to the ramp at sunrise.  I stopped to catch macks just to find them MIA.  the other day they were everywhere./.. today it was hard to scratch a dozen of them, but I did and ran to the halibut grounds.

First drop and Bam!  A big hit which was totally halibut and inhaled my 12" mack!  As I started cranking him in, the bait popped off and there was nothing there.  The good thing is I think he never had the hook in his lip.  I reset immediately and pinned on another greenback.  Bam!  this time I had him!

I fought him for about 5 minutes and got him to deep color... It was just as big or somewhere around the last one I caught.  My best guess was 25-25 pounds...

Gaff Ready...

Billy Club in reach...

He saw the boat....

He took off like a bat out of hell...

The worst case scenario happened and I felt the line come loose and the hook and weight come back to the boat with no fish... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I tried time and time again before getting another big bite.  I was on the phone with my buddy Dave when it happened and he got to listen to the entire thing.  I hooked what might have been my PB Sand Bass.  I've never caught many big ones in the past, but this one was a 6-7 pound model and I was pretty stoked!  it looked like it was hooked good so I grabbed the GoPro for an underwater shot of me lipping it... Sooooo Stupid of me.  the minute he saw the camera, he thrashed to get away and get away he did...  I was not feeling very good at this point for losing two really nice fish...

I went back at it and worked short drifts in important areas and the bites kept coming.  Lots of Turd Rollers on the live mackerel to 4 lbs.

3 pounder

Another fatty on the swimbait! ... this one fought pretty good using the smaller rod.

I drifted two mackerel rods and played with the mini-iron.... I ended up with 6-8 Johnny Bass.  I didn't take pics of all of them since even in shallow water they blew up like balloons, but one of them was at least 13" with the rest all much smaller.

Tiny Turds were out of control.  lost count of these suckers, but were fun on the 8lb rod.

I got buzzed by some military a few times...

I also got a bunch of Blacksmith perch.  These things were everywhere also!

I did have an unbelievable fight though...  One of my mackerel rods went off and I thought it was a yellow at first.  I quickly realized it was a sub-adult sea lion who continued to jump and run line off.  I wanted to make sure this lion realized the error of it's way and continued to fight it on rod and reel for 30+ minutes.  I moved almost 2 miles from where I hooked it per the gps.

I got it 20 feet from the boat and it was tired...  so I double wrapped my reel and let it break free.  I was rewarded with getting my sinker back, but it got to keep the hook jewelry.  I doubt that fur bag will be stealing anyone else's fish anytime soon.  I did not try to hurt it, but there was little I could do at the moment and truthfully had little remorse since it hooked itself.

I probably ended up with 30+ bass, and 1.5 dozen assorted other fish.  I was bummed that I didn't get the halibut in and lost my PB sandy, but I'll live.  I'd like to catch them all, but I know that they have to win sometimes.

Soon as I got back to the docks, I was greeted by Coast Guard doing Boat Inspections.  They were very pleased that I had everything in order and my demeanor was the best they have seen.  15 boats checked created a lot of pissed off skippers apparently as they all got citations for expired or missing gear.  personally, I thought they were the friendliest Coast Guard that I've ever come across!  I had nothing to worry since I make sure I'm legit.  I guess they were happy to come across someone like me instead of a bunch of people loaded with excuses.   ;D

It was an extra half hour at the end of the day, but just like the DFG... It was nice seeing them there.  I know many people would not agree with me, but they are doing it for a good reason... the protection of the skipper and his crew with functional  up to date gear.  Besides, I now have another slip of Coast guard compliance that will prevent any further boardings for 2015.  I'm good with that.   8)

Until Next tide, go get some fish!  And make a post!!!!!!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Almost Back to Back Monster Butts! (1/10)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:40:32 PM »
Great trip. Wish I could have tagged along.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »
Sounds like a killer outing, and those dumb seals will eat the next bait just as quick.  we hooked one with an iron and it broke off.  watched it eat our yellows right after..guns work better.  BTW  text me if ya need a boat b*&ch. ;)
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
Geez TOM good stuff lately.

Glad the fur bag is wearing a hook! ... >:(