Author Topic: Adding Magnets to a Penn Delmar 285  (Read 8968 times)

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Adding Magnets to a Penn Delmar 285
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »
I have heard and see posts of people adding magnets to conventional reels but was unsure of the process to do it, the images are gone on the posts. I have a Penn Delmar 285 that is a great reel but since there are no magnets I have to have the spool tension cranked down to throw a 5oz weight with out backlashing. I can loosen the tension and get more distance but then it will almost certainly backlash if I don't apply enough pressure with my thumb to the side of the spool and think magnets will solve this.

I read the post on the Torium 30 but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Any advice or suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:08:30 PM by JayRay »
#MAGA

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Magnets to a Penn Delmar 285
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »
PM me your email address and I'll send you pictures of the same nes I've done.
I'm also doing adjustable mag kits if you're interested.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »
The first question I have after a quick google search, Is it a 285 or 285M? The 285 has a plastic spool and magnets wont do a thing for it. The 285M has a chrome plated, stainless steel spool. Adding magnets only works with metal spools (material does not need to be magnetic).

This model reel was not designed for casting, but rather a boat reel for bottom fishing. The spool material itself, if metal is going to cause problems when trying to cast.  The spool is very heavy and requires a large amount of energy to get spinning up to speed on the cast, Then just as the spool is spinning fast enough, the weight and bait will have lost a lot of inertia and be slowing down already. The same weight that took so much energy to get moving, now requires a lot of energy to slow to keep pace with the slowing of the outgoing line. This is where adding mags may help, how much and if in a significant enough manner could only be determined through trial and error.

In the long run, you may find that this particular reel will never be more than a mediocre caster.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Ron is absolutely right about the plastic and metal spools.  There is a way to make the plastic spool work, but it's not very strong to begin with, so not really worth it.  Penn did make some of these with an aluminum spool, but it's harder to find.
JayRay, I emailed you the pics.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »
It has the chrome plated stainless steel spool, when I get home I will post up a picture.

The spool is very heavy and requires a large amount of energy to get spinning up to speed on the cast, Then just as the spool is spinning fast enough, the weight and bait will have lost a lot of inertia and be slowing down already. The same weight that took so much energy to get moving, now requires a lot of energy to slow to keep pace with the slowing of the outgoing line.

This is exactly what happens. I notice the change in sound when the spool spins fast enough that it maxs out but like you said the spool is very heavy and takes quit a bit to slow down and the mono will start to fluff up before it can be slowed down. I have tried stepping down the weight size but then it does not have the pull to get the spool going.

It has always been one of my critter reels but has the line capacity for long runs if I could get farther casts out of it. Works great for boat fishing and is pretty much brand new for its age but willing to Frakenstein it and try to get it to cast better. What sucks is sometimes when the planets align I get some awesome casts out of it just to be pissed off after the next bait check.
#MAGA

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »
I'll see if I can track down an aluminum spool for you.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »

Ok i have it taken apart with some images below. The spool I thought was steel but it is not conductive, just the cog and the axle are.

What thpe of magnets do yoU use? Where would source them?

This is Prior to disassembling.

I opened it up enough to have access to the inside of the cover.

When I place them how will their placement affect it?
#MAGA

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »
Use rare earth magnets. Forgot where I got mine. Not hard to find. When I did mine I got a couple sizes then mixed and matched until I got the performance I wanted.

Epoxy or super glue a steel washer or something to the side plate so you can add and remove magnets. They should be as close to the rim of the spool as possible without rubbing. A thin coat of grease will keep them from rusting.

They should not interfere with the clicker unless they physically block its movement.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
PM me your address and I'll send you some magnets and washers.

I found I have the same delmar 285 in the garage. I'll pop it open and figure out what what will fit.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:40:16 AM by xjchad »

Socal Bill

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »
It sounds like Chad is hooking you up👍🏿

I’ve ordered from K&J Magnetics, Inc for future reference

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
Thanks Chad! I actually stopped by home depot on my way home from the beach today and found these. Going to go dig the JB weld out of the garage and crack a beer before I get started. I am going to glue down 4 washers. Is it better to do them all in a curved  line or 2 on one side and 2 on the other?

#MAGA

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
I've only put them close together, but I think if you can put all four together in a curve it's better since you can alternate the polarity and they will work together to create a stronger field. That's my understanding anyway.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
I looked up one of the Abu adjustable reels and they had them all in a line. I wonder what the adjustment is doing. Moving another magnet?

#MAGA

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 07:22:48 PM »
Yes, all in a line is goood. Just alternate (+, -) which side faces the spool.
I think the adjustment on the Abu just uses a cam to push the magnets closer to the spool.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »
I have them glued down all in a line. I used JB Weld so will need to wait until the morning to put my magnets on.

Any suggestions on any mods that will make removing the cover to adjust magnets easier? I am thinking if there is a hand screw it would work well, similar to some of the older Abu reels. Once I get the magnets set for one weight, say 5oz, when I step it up or down to 6oz or 3 oz I may need to adjust the magnets.

#MAGA