Author Topic: Wanting Bugs - Slaying Bass (12/29)  (Read 15479 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Wanting Bugs - Slaying Bass (12/29)
« on: December 30, 2014, 09:52:32 AM »
Since Mom and Pop are out visiting from the east coast, I promised them a lobster dinner.  I invited the bug hunter (Keith) out to help me fill my quota as he seems to limit on them every time he goes for them.

I particularly liked the small tidal movement and the weather was way better than we expected.  We dropped our ten hoops and realized that it was pretty packed out there for a Monday night!  Lots of boats, but not sure how anyone was doing.  I know everyone packed it in early and the few boats around us said they only got a few shorts and that was it.

We modified our drops in different depths to scratch 8 lobster in which only one was legal and 3 were almost legal. 

Basically, buggin stunk last night and there was just little life in the nets as we pulled besides snails and swimming crab.  We did get a few rock crab, a spider crab and assorted fish with a Bonus Sarcastic Fringehead!  I love these nasty little things!  Looks like a saltwater snakehead from the side.

.... but there was an definite upside to the evening. The BASS fishing was downright on!

We got 3 to 4 dozen Calico, Spotted and Sand bass between net pulls with some real quality.  We also got sculpin and mackerel and could have loaded up if we wanted, but the bass were calling.

Average Calico

The fish LOVED the chartreuse Big Hammer!

Just loads of quality spotties.  Keith was on the nice spotties all night and we got our share of doubles.

I lost a few brutes in the rocks, but managed the Jackpot as I slid him away from his Den.  I thought it might be a halibut at first, but I'll take a legit CALICO!  It was a NICE fish and deserved her return as well as all of the other bass.

We also saw something super cool!  Keith yells, "Look at that Tom!" as I turn around to see a huge fireball racing across the sky over the Point.  It seemed to fall forever breaking up at times in it's descent.  Wicked cool meteor and probably the biggest one I've seen since I was a kid.  Super bright and a really long tail as it covered a good portion of the sky before flashing into darkness.

Lonely keeper bug, but it was at least a nice one!

Well, King Neptune decided we were only going to get one legal bug tonight so that means I'll be hitting the store to get another.  I just wanted to make sure they had a Lobster feast on their first day out to California for their vacation.

Thanks Keith!  It was a pleasure fishing with you... and remember, I have no shame!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:02:04 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting Bugs - Slaying Bass (12/29)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
Dang.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
Well when I heard from squatch what happened on Monday I couldn't believe it... willis ALWAYS slays the bugs, must have been something seriously wrong going on in the bay for him to only get 1 legal... or the bugs just hate you ;) at least the bassin was good. I'll go see him this evening and get the whole real story B)<==*~~

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »
I'll go see him this evening and get the whole real story B)<==*~~

You'll get the whole story alright. lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »
Nice!

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »
getcha some of dat..