Author Topic: Looking for Long Rod Recommendations  (Read 15809 times)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Looking for Long Rod Recommendations
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
What are your thoughts on possible 11-12ft casting rods? I'm trying to keep the budget to $100-150 and looking to target rays and sharks. Debating between casting vs. spinning rods. Any opinions would be appreciated.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Long Rod Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »
I've never used them, but I've only heard good things about the Bass Pro shops 12" conventional surf rod.  That price range is a little limiting, but I know Steve found a great deal on Amazon one time for his first surf conventional at it was a damn good stick.

Here is a pretty good option.
http://www.pennfishing.com/PENN%C2%AE-Battalion%E2%84%A2-Surf-Casting/1347892,default,pd.html?utm_source=mediaforge&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=PENN&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgMKmBRDMjo_F9OfUubABEiQAp8Ky116csUJNbQaFDdacdRwQgRecG0gqySzt0gmHMrn8PmkaAqXd8P8HAQ

Once again, I've only heard good things, but I have never cast one.  It really appears to be something totally nice for what we do.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »
I really like my penn prevail 12' casting stick. Have it paired with a daiwa sealine 40sha that I static magged. On the test field I am consistently able to hit 115 yds (measures) with a 6 oz weight without using a thumb control till splashdown.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
In that price range a lot of guys like the Diawa Emcasts, Bass Pro Shops Ocean Masters and the Penns with conventional reels. But you can't go cheap with your reel or you won't get the most out of the rod. So plan on spending that much or more again for your reel and line.

For myself, I'm cheap and I like bomb proof. Think AK-47 takes a licking and keeps on ticking tough. That's why I use Ugly Stiks and Okuma Bait Feeder spinning gear. They seem to catch as much fish as the expensive stuff they've fished against without any problems. And since I do have friends and noobs use my gear from time to time, if something happens to it I'm not going to worry about it. I can chalk it up to God's will and his way of saying time for new ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?