Author Topic: Two PB's in Two Days 7/10-7/11  (Read 3129 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Two PB's in Two Days 7/10-7/11
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
7/10
This week my wife and kids are out at her parents house so I'm living the bachelor life again.
That means I fish as much as I can!  8)
Monday after work I met my dad at the usual AO and we waited for the beach to clear.  Conditions were perfect.  Very low surf, no current, only a little weeds close in.  Once the beach goers cleared out of our spot we got set up.  We were both planning to fish 2 rods each to maximize our chances.  The secondary rod that I'm using is my second attempt to delve into the world of conventional gear.  It's a Penn 4/0 wide reel mounted on a Daiwa Emcast XH casting rod.  My goal was to build a set up that was cheap, but could handle very big fish.  This is the first time I've used it for a full session.  I'm still learning to cast it consistently, but was able to get 60 yards or so with minimal backlashing.  The 4/0 is spooled with 80lb braid and the terminal rig is an 8oz sputnik on a 3 way rig with a 400lb steel leader and 16/0 hook. 

I had a half of a large mac soaking on it for about 20 minutes or so when the rod started to bow and the clicker started screaming.  That's one thing I love about conventional reels is the loud clicker.  Anyway, I tightened the drag to get the circle hook set and this bat took off pulling like a frieght train.  It headed south, tangling with the lines of 2 of our other rods and big clump of floating kelp.  My dad was all over the place reeling in the tangled rods and untangling the lines and the kelp.  Finally got it to the skinny where dad dragged it up the beach.  What a beast, I thought I was in the 50" club for sure, but ended up and inch short at 49".  I'm still pretty excited to have a new PB bat though!

Unfortunately, that was it for the night.  I had one other good hit that didn't connect, but took a nice chunk out of my mac.

7/11
Tonight I had to do some chores around the house after work, but wrapped it up quick and headed for the beach for a quick session.  Conditions were quite different tonight.  Bigger surf and more salad with thick fog rolling in. 

I started fishing about 8:30.  No real bites but did lose a couple baits and about 9:30 I stuck on a large mac tail and tossed out my last cast.  I had given up and just put my had on the rod to bring it in and pack up when it took a big bounce!  Line started peeling out so I flipped the lever on the bait feeder and set the hook home.  I could feel head shakes right away but even though it was fighting great, I could tell there wasn't a ton of weight to it.  After a couple runs I slid it up the beach with a wave and set my rod down and grabbed the tail of my new PB leopard.  Solo fishing makes for poor pictures so I apologize, but here they are.  Taped out at 59"

I have a couple more nights of fishing this week, hoping to continue the streak!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:34:14 AM by xjchad »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Two PB's in Two Days 7/10-7/11
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
Nice frick'n leo Chad, I haven't caught one in a year and a half.  I miss those things   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »
Well damn!  Well done and congrats Chad! 59" Leo is legit!

I can't wait to see you catch a mid 50's bat or bigger now!  Great looking set up and congrats on having the bachelor week out on the sand!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »
That Leo is legit! You got my PB beat with that one...That place gets a bit erie, solo in the fog, especially if your the last soul left on the beach

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
Nice frick'n leo Chad, I haven't caught one in a year and a half.  I miss those things   :(
Thanks Verne, dust off your long rods and come join us some evening  :)

Well damn!  Well done and congrats Chad! 59" Leo is legit!
Thanks Tom, does that mean I get a Rainshadow hat?  ;)

That Leo is legit! You got my PB beat with that one...That place gets a bit erie, solo in the fog, especially if your the last soul left on the beach
No kidding Joe, it's spooky with the fog causing all the funky shadows!  First time I've ever strapped my bait knife to my belt, I was watching my back more than my rod LOL!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »
Couple nice ones for sure.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
Big leo! Glad you're putting that rod to work!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
WTG Chad. I've walked around with my knife on me there more than once. Lol

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
Nice to see a report...Chad
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 07:24:02 PM »
Nice outings dude! congrats on the new PB's! Nice Leo!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Yes, that leopard earned you a Rainshadow hat!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:38 AM »
Yes, that leopard earned you a Rainshadow hat!
Sweet, thanks!!
It will go nicely with my new Rainshadow surf rod at the end of the year  ;D

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
Nice PBs Chad!