Author Topic: Found one in VC  (Read 3322 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Found one in VC
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »
On the 4th of July weekend as I was cruising around VC the water happened to be extremely clearer than usual,  there was a mid-day low tide and the sun was shining with almost no wind to put chop on the surface. This led me to be able to see some huge troughs and a giant trench that led straight out, perpendicular from the shore, on a beach in a spot that I didn't suspect even existed before, until I saw it when all the conditions aligned to do so. Instantly I thought to myself, "I can't wait to come back and fish that thing as soon as the conditions get grinner good."...
Well, except for the warming water everything else seemed like it would be good on Saturday night and I wasn't going to wait till the water started cooling down to fish this hole, so back I went this weekend with cell pics and a pic in my mind of where that trench is so I could set a bait in it in the darkness.
First cast got set, bounced and picked up within the first 15 minutes. Mac came back ,bit off clean right behind the gill plates. I was too anxious and hit it too early this time.
Next cast, tip bounces, I pick up my rod and I feel a bump and the line start to slacken so I start to walk backwards at a pace to keep a slight tension on my rod tip and keep it from slackening. I ended  up backing up about 20 feet, and then it decided to head out the other direction so I counted to 5 as my drag clicker sounded and line peeled off before I lowered my rod tip and turned down the drag to set the circle hook. My rod bendos over and the tightened down drag starts to scream and I feel massive head shakes and a big tail slap. ;D One of my favorite things is becoming that moment when feel that first big tail slap & you know it's not a bat.
This one had alot of fight in it for a 7gill and got me saying the "Shock leader please don't fail" prayer to myself  after every big tail slap onto it.
Luckily there was another guy down the beach a ways fishing with his kids with small rods that I whistled for help to and him and his kids came over. I asked him if he could hold my rod with a loose drag while I go for the tail grab. I got the tail on the first try and dragged him up up of the suds onto wet sand...Victory!
Also glad for this guy being there as I got my pliers, tape and cell phone I see it's at 1% and goes black seconds afterwards :(..I ask if he had a cell he could get a pic for me with, he tried but only one came out halfway worthy,had him email it to me. Unfortunately I didn't get a tape pic but it did measure at 92", huge for a male I think. 
Bait was the head half of a large mack, tide close to it's high flood of a 5.7 high about 9:30pm, surf was low at 1-2 at best, moon was close to full and bright overhead.
This guy wore me out so I decided to get some zzz's nearby so I could lightrod the greylight in the morning...

https://goo.gl/PuvDmY

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:25:27 PM by LONGCAST JOE »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Found one in VC
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »
Outstanding my brother, your persistence is amazing........................love that "Wild Man" look   ;D

BTW. still waiting for your light rod report on the "blue site"
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
Well damn!  Nice one Joe!

It's been a while since I've seen a nice 7-gill hit the surf.  Bravo, well done sir! Knock Pinoyfisher right off the pedestal!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
So goes my reign at the top... Lol! Nice 7!! Not sure who I'd rather run into in a dark alley, a 7gills jaws wide open or the scary "homeless looking" angler! Hahaha!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »
So goes my reign at the top... Lol! Nice 7!! Not sure who I'd rather run into in a dark alley, a 7gills jaws wide open or the scary "homeless looking" angler! Hahaha!
Well, your not far off, in the last month I've definitely spent more time on the sand then I have at home. Summer turns me into a beach bum... More days than not I've been on the sand when the sun rises and there again when it sets (& at work in between) A couple times I've even found myself waking up to grey light in the sand, just  nodding off watching my glow stick the night before.
 I'll try to shave for you before my next grinner photo shoot  :D ;) 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »
You must not be married and have kids.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
I think you look fine, joe.

Nice fish.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »
You must not be married and have kids.
Correct you are my friend...but a very tolerant girlfriend... ;D

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
I think you look fine, joe.

So said the Sasquatch.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:30:24 PM »
You could really scare some kids with that mug  ;D :P ;)

J/k

Way to put one on the sand 8)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »
Sweet Joe! I need to get out! Sounds like Chad is going to be pounding sand hard this week!  ;D Hopefully we see more of these!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:13:24 PM by LONGCAST JOE »

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »
Congrats on that beauty Joe! 
I hit the sand last night till closing time but couldn't find any grinners.
Did land my PB bat though.
Way to make it to the top of the list!