Author Topic: The Little Engine That Couldn't (05-24-17)  (Read 1890 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
The Little Engine That Couldn't (05-24-17)
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
Another solo sesh for me. Binh, you gotta get out more! Same deal, macks for bait and a late start for me. On the sand at 9pm.

The high tide forced me to try a different beach with room to bury a spike. First bait goes out and I settle down on a comfy rock hoping for the best. 5 mins into the soak and the rod tip shudders and the line goes slack. I hop off of the rock and wind fast as hell. The line comes tight and i can immediately tell it's a good one. In the distance I see it breach several times, but still couldn't get a positive ID. I assume soup because of the way it's fighting, but it feels too heavy. We go back and forth for a few minutes and I finally get it in knee deep water. I can feel it's tail whacking the hell out of my line! A few more cranks and it rolls up my line to finally introduce himself. A big a$$ 7gill! Looks like I'll have a new PB  ;D Damn spoke too soon! One of the bigger sets of the night rolls in and my line fails.

80lb rub leader did it's best, but this 7 was too much for it. Ugh! Here we go again! But I was on though, hell yeah!!! Re-rig and re-bait. No more than 10mins goes by and drag screams out in pain. Couldn't believe my rod didn't snap in half by the way it was doubled over. Couldn't even get out of the rod holder because of how much pressure the shark was putting on my rod. Had to lift the entire thing, rod and spike, out of the ground just to free up the rod. Whatever I've hooked into is giving me violent headshakes and a blistering run. At this point, I'm just holding on and watching my line just race off the spool. Holy crap, I'm about to get spooled! At this moment, I think of Tom and how he's been waiting for this moment. Tightening down the drag does little to slow it down and the then SNAP! My little SM has just been spooled. Damn. It shocked me so much I sent Tom a text and PM'd Chris. Lol!! I have no idea what it was, but no for sure it wasn't a bat. Too many head shakes for a bat. Giant 7gill? BSB? Taxman jr? With so many being seen up north, it's possible. Either way, I was totally humbled and loved every minute of it!! It was so bad a$$!

Put away the SM and busted out the backup reel, a Penn Fathom 30. I always carry too much bait, at least 10 rigs, a back up reel, extra headlamps, and even a battery pack for charging my cell. Should probably start bringing an extra rod too.

Same deal, re-bait and toss it out. I settle down to post and update and I get another bone jarring hit. Typical soupfin fight, or so I thought. It turns into a repeat of the previous fight and I just hold on . WTF?!!! I'm down to half a spool then my line goes slack. Damn again. Line broke not to far above the swivel in the rub leader. Another bait goes out and another quick bite. Soupie right away! Quick fight and I finally get to slide a grinner onto the beach. Hook too deep to pull out, so I cut it free at the hook. Another rig gone, but I'd didn't lose a sputnik.

70" female

I sent out another bait and decide to just stand next to my rod since the action has been far and furious. Made the right decision as I get another run on a soupie. Damn they're active tonight!! Another great fight and another beached. This one bent the hook and had some battle wounds. Reef rub??

65" male

I fish another hour (2hrs total) for two more grinner runs, one bait dropped the other my line is cut and I lose the rig. My craziest night sharking for sure!! I go 2 for 6 and get humbled. So many "what ifs". I'll continue to use the SM, but will now always bring a 2nd complete setup. Any thoughts on what they could have been?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Engine That Couldn't (05-24-17)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
Hell of a night.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
Nice! A two grinned night is few and far between.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:44:29 PM »
Mike you're on fire!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:37:27 PM »
En Fuego! Even another one tonight!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »
Mike, you are making it look easy ;D Soon you will need Tom's chiropractor ;D ;D