Author Topic: San Diego Bay Slayage (6/4)  (Read 3476 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
San Diego Bay Slayage (6/4)
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
What a load of crap... every year I always seem to be taking the boat out this weekend and every year I seem to get stuck in the Rock-N-Roll marathon set up or the main event itself.  Every year I become numb and think I could skirt the issue areas and every year I kick myself in the ass for even trying....  Not this year as I WISED UP!

I was planning on going to LaJolla, but now plans had to change.  I needed a ramp as far away from the city as possible and only J-Street fit that bill.  I don't think Steve wanted to fish the bay, but we brought an assortment  of rods and gear to adapt to whatever we planned.

We got front row parking and worked a couple of spots as we headed to the inlet.  We both got on the board... me with numbers of better than average sized fish and Squatch experimented with baits and got the prize so far with a corvina.

It was pretty foggy all day, but made for a relaxing cool day on the water.

After a bunch of fish at a couple of spots, we headed straight for the inlet.  Our plan was some halibut and or bigger bass!  It was amazing how little boat traffic there was and then realized that Shelter Island ramp is closed for construction! A double edged sword I suppose, but much needed!

Steve and I farmed some big bites by the rocks before I finally landed this Christmas Tree bass!  I've never seen a sandy with such vibrant colors and orange gills!

After a few drifts with only a few fish, we made another move and got heavy on the calicos!

Seriously though, I was lapping Steve and kept offering some swimbaits, but he wanted to experiment with odd gear.  He kept throwing a spinner bait that looked great, but apparently made all the fish in its path run for cover!  I then get slammed on the 8lb and it rocks me.  I try working it out, but it won't budge.  I don't want to give it line as a hook would easily stay in, but a lead head has the tendency to shake our in this maneuver over just a plain bait hook.  Steve said "Do It".... and I did.  Rewarded with the JP of the day!  A fatty calico!

I had to get home at a certain time so we started making our way back.  We catch  our fill (Let me rephrase that, I was catching my fill while Steve was scratching them).  Before long, I was at 30 assorted bass and a mackerel to make 31 total.  Steve ended up with 7 for the day, but he got the silver kind so that was worth a few more in numbers.

I called my halibut which was pretty damn funny, but came up short on the corvina.  Oh well. LOL

The Chartreuse injected MC was by far the HOTTEST bait and color of the day!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the bay adventure and really glad I got smart this year and avoided the marathon.  After talking with some buddies, I heard that it was a nightmare on Mission Bay and I made the best choice.

Until next tide!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:23:15 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Bay Slayage (6/4)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »
We are all creatures of habit, by breaking out of your routine you were rewarded with a nice bunch of fish. Congrats on a nice day on the bay. Did you make any sizable amount of Mac for bait? Most of the Mac I have caught in SD Bay have been small.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
That's a fun day for sure.

Hopefully that sandy does some breeding in the future 8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »
Truth be told, I wasn't really prepared for the bay. Had my gear for inshore fishing ready, but nothing for what we ended up doing. Well, bare bones stuff. No biggee, still had a day on the water having fun. I will be restocking my small gear for next time, just in case.

Ironically, the low stress option for Tom turned stressful at the ramp and on the drive home. Thankfully,I was able to discover something about his rig that will ease the stress for many years to come. I think overall, it was a net stress reduction for the day.

Enjoyed a couple cold beers while washing the boat, and Tom's daughter learned it is difficult to see Sasquatch, even if he is your dad's friend, and he was right there a second ago.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »
Truth be told, I wasn't really prepared for the bay. Had my gear for inshore fishing ready, but nothing for what we ended up doing. Well, bare bones stuff. No biggee, still had a day on the water having fun. I will be restocking my small gear for next time, just in case.

Ironically, the low stress option for Tom turned stressful at the ramp and on the drive home. Thankfully,I was able to discover something about his rig that will ease the stress for many years to come. I think overall, it was a net stress reduction for the day.

Enjoyed a couple cold beers while washing the boat, and Tom's daughter learned it is difficult to see Sasquatch, even if he is your dad's friend, and he was right there a second ago.

Yes indeed! Thanks for that trailer discovery! That made all that idiot stress at the ramp bearable. Nothing like biker gang parties also. I swear that one dude looked a little like Josh trying to secure all the parking. Lol

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
Biker gang or Marathon crowd, seems like you can't win.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »

Yes indeed! Thanks for that trailer discovery! That made all that idiot stress at the ramp bearable. Nothing like biker gang parties also. I swear that one dude looked a little like Josh trying to secure all the parking. Lol

Did he show you pics of 10lb bass at Barrett?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
Did he show you pics of 10lb bass at Barrett?

Must have not been him for sure then since he didn't show me any green bass pics.   ;D

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
Water looks like glass, nice day for sure. I need to try the big bay soon 8)