Author Topic: Curmudgeon Run  (Read 2172 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Curmudgeon Run
« on: May 16, 2017, 05:55:21 AM »
I took the boat offshore and trolled around a bit.  I kept my eyes out for paddies but found none.  I did work a bunch of feeding dolphin for a while, and even metered some nice marks 50' down, but could not get anything to commit to the iron, trollers or anything!

One super cool thing was I saw a mako on the surface and ran on over to it.  The last time I was on a shark and cast in the vicinity, I hooked up with a bunch of tuna!  I cast my only mackerel about 40 feet away from it in case any tuna were nearby.  I did not have my steel leader on me, so i knew it would be a short battle if the mako took it and took it he did!  Shot straight over and grabbed the mack.  It made one great arial leap and *snip*... gone.  Oh well, but I knew that was going to happen.

I only did a half day and ran out more or less to see how it handled offshore.  I was pretty happy with the outcome.

On the way in, I metered some clouds of fish on the bottom and dropped a small iron on the bass rod.  The current was ripping, so I had to use the motor to stay in one spot, but at least I caught dinner to make it worth the trip.  Fun near shore rockfishing on the little gear! All the rockfish were probably mediums in size.

(I thought I had the picture in Photobucket, but I guess it's still on the camera)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Curmudgeon Run
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
Ahh, the joys of owning a sweet sled!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »
Sounds like fun to me  :D

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
The areal leap must have been awesome

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:44:06 AM »
Must be super nice to go out and not worry about breaking down, happy for you Tom   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:46:05 AM »
My meager bag of taco meat.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.