Author Topic: 2 for 3 in VC 5/3/17  (Read 2543 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
2 for 3 in VC 5/3/17
« on: May 04, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
It's been harder to get time on the sand lately with all that I've had going on, but when Joe texted me on Monday that he was going out on Wednesday I decided I couldn't pass it up.  The tide and forecast looked great and didn't disappoint.  Surf was around 2' but breaking right on the sand and what kelp there was in the water was all close in too.  The best thing was that the insane current we've been having was completely gone!  My dad met me there around 5:30 and we got set up quickly.

I've been fishing two poles lately and around 6:30 my lighter rod takes a deep bow and the reel starts screaming as a bat takes off with the bait.  Joe had texted me earlier that if I fished with him I'd be guaranteed a new PB bat since he's been raking them in lately and I knew right away this was it.  After a few runs left, right, and out to sea, I finally got in into the wash and onto the beach where my dad dragged it up on the sand.  Measured at 45.5" beating my previous PB of 42"!

Got all the rods rebaited and back out.  A little after 7:00 we noticed all the sandcrab beds and dug a few up.  They were huge, quarter size at least and thousands of them!  My dad had take some over to show some little kids nearby when I noticed his pole was doubled over and the sand spike getting pulled down as well.  I sprinted over as I yelled to him and grabbed it in time.  Dad got there right away and held on as this bat took off.  Joe showed up as he was fighting it and got set up down the beach.  This was definitly a larger model. 

The fight lasted a good 20-30 minutes before I could finally get my hands on it.  Joe walked up as I got it on the beach and called it at 49"!  New PB for my dad and now he's got me beat as well!

Once it got dark things slowed down.  Around 8:30 I see the glow stick on my heavy rod start to wiggle.  As I picked up the rod I could feel it bounce and set the hook, fish on!  This fish definitely felt sharky!  Huge run right away with tail slaps.  Then back and forth and more runs.  It sure didn't seem like a sevengill, but neither did the 104" male I caught last time.  After about 10 minutes it headed toward some structure.  I was trying hard to turn it.  Buttoned down the drag and pulling hard up the beach when, pop...  :-[

Not sure what it was.  Maybe a big 7?  Didn't jump and go crazy like I thought a soupfin would.  Lots of weight though for sure.  Oh well, there's always next time.
No sharks on the sand for us, but at least we got to battle some big bats  :D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 2 for 3 in VC 5/3/17
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
Hate losing them.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
Congrats to your dad on his PB bat!  I bet his back was jacked after that toad.

By the way, you probably lost a 10' Great White.  Start kicking yourself....

hahahahahaha, just razzing ya'!  Sounds like a Seven as some of the bigger ones feel different than normal... or it could have been that Hammerhead we've been looking for that you just farmed? 

Sorry, I can't help myself.  I hate losing all sharks, let alone big ones!   Bummer boss, but I'm sure you'll be out there getting your revenge!

Excellent report and Pics, Boss!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 12:26:26 AM »
What Tom said! Losing a grinner sucks. Just had some experience with that the other night.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 04:40:36 AM »
I was trying hard to turn it.  Buttoned down the drag and pulling hard up the beach when, pop...  :-[

Been there, hate that feeling   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
It was good to meet your Dad finally Chad!...I can tell you got him hooked, he's definitely got the surf fishing bug. I love it when I see someone get excited when they land a fish like that! Was that a double fist pump and a triple high five I saw him do?..Your turn now to top his and get in the 50"+ club...
And yes, the sand crab beds and crab size there this year is off the charts. I scooped up a few dozen and put them in my fridge, I'll see if anything is enticed by them down in the Bu this weekend
Yeah, I've lost more then one the same exact way there, around those same rocks, so I don't set up so close to that end anymore. It's OK if the tide is lower because it'll leave those rocks exposed so you can wade out around them if needed but I still think there are some pilings or some other structure underwater a bit further out that we can't see off of there too.
I think within 15 or 20 minutes after you took off the VC Sheriffs rolled through the lot earlier then usual and lit me up with their spotlight and put an end to my sesh.
JOE

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
OK the bats have been fun but they need to leave the spot lol! Nice going none the  less. Did you guys  try for perch at all?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
OK the bats have been fun but they need to leave the spot lol! Nice going none the  less. Did you guys  try for perch at all?

No, but there were a few other guys there light rodding it with LC's and swimbaits.  Said they got a few hits but nothing landed.  The sandcrabs are massive and plentiful!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
Congrats to you and your dad on getting your PB on Bat Rays. When they get that size he can take while to get them in on the surf.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)