Author Topic: PM 1/2 day on New Seaforth (01-08)  (Read 2384 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
PM 1/2 day on New Seaforth (01-08)
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:40 PM »
Impromptu trip with my brother. Groundfish closure made things a little grim, was hoping to at least get into some macks.

Got bait at the receivers.

Light load today.

Saw lots of sweet looking macks in the net. The AM trip got 7 YT ranging from 25-35# on the yoyo. There's some toads out there! Plan was to hit the same area, the NW corner, and meter around for them. Lots of life everywhere! Humpbacks, porpoise, birds diving, and bait puddling under the surface.

Motored around for nearly an hour after getting to the corner. Nada. Headed north towards LJ. Nada again. Picked up the hook and headed south towards Pacific Beach. Crystal Pier was in the background. 1st drop got me 3 rockfish, back they went. Did get 3 macks here though  ;D Moved again. Did this 2 more times. Last stop, we were a few hundred yards from the channel. Anchored up and 2 sculpin came over the rail along with a handful of calicos. I didn't contribute to any of this. I watch a huge school of macks swim by and I'm hooked up to a double. Then my brother. We get into a 10 minute barn burner of a mack bite. We get 32 macks before we had to head home.sweet!! Grinner bait. It wasn't a total loss.

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: PM 1/2 day on New Seaforth (01-08)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:01:01 AM »
A full bag of grinner bait is worth the price of a trip these days.  32 macks at $3 a pop= $96 

Maybe not breaking even, but not too shabby!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
A full bag of grinner bait is worth the price of a trip these days.  32 macks at $3 a pop= $96 

Maybe not breaking even, but not too shabby!

1/2 day trip is $48, so I did well  ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »
Nice pics and report! Good job making bait!  8)