Author Topic: Central Coast 11/23/14  (Read 3443 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Central Coast 11/23/14
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
 Took a couple days off to visit my folks in Pismo this week. I have a few spots that have been pretty good fishing that I have stumbled across in my visits over the years.

This morning I visited one of them. Probably the most scenic and I did well the last time I was here.
 Beautiful sunrise.

Despite the heavy surf that was forecast, conditions were totally fishable. After a few casts I pulled an nice calico surf perch.

Once I tuned in to the pattern, I was able to get 4-5 more. Nice sized, in the 12" range.

At some point I saw a couple walking the beach stop and pick up something from just the other side of a large rock where I had randomly turned around. Turned out to be a scapula bone. The lady was sure it was a human bone, but I suggested a seal/sealion was more likely. She thought that was great and kept the bone.
I lost a few rigs in the rocks, and missed out on a great beach find, but I was stoked on the morning session.
On the way to the steps I saw a cool crab shell.

That should get the boss off my back.

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Central Coast 11/23/14
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »
Cool report. Heading up to Santa Maria with the GF for Thanksgiving. Was thinking about fishing along the way. Is it usually good up there? Never caught a Calico perch before either...would love to add one to the species list. Are they more abundant up north?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
I usually get to fish two days when I'm up here. Never done good on both days but I have had some good single days.

Never tried around Santa Maria. You could check out Oso Flaco or Guadalupe state beaches. Oso is a cool walk over a lake in the sand dunes. Guadalupe is a gnarly steep beach. If surf is up watch out. Both are worth checking out even if you don't fish.

Drive up to oceano on hwy 1 just north of grand and check out the nesting monarchs in the eucalyptus trees.

There you go. Your trip is all planned.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:43:46 AM »
Huh, I never hit send on my phone when I was responding to this.

Funny, my original thought was "bass" when you said Calico's, but then I was trying to think if Calico Bass even got that far north.  Since I have no Calico "perch", I like that much more.

They could be the magic bait down here... you never know!   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:02 AM »
I usually get to fish two days when I'm up here. Never done good on both days but I have had some good single days.

Never tried around Santa Maria. You could check out Oso Flaco or Guadalupe state beaches. Oso is a cool walk over a lake in the sand dunes. Guadalupe is a gnarly steep beach. If surf is up watch out. Both are worth checking out even if you don't fish.

Drive up to oceano on hwy 1 just north of grand and check out the nesting monarchs in the eucalyptus trees.

There you go. Your trip is all planned.

haha well thanks for the planning. We are definitely taking a few rods with us. Hoping I can talk her into stopping at a few spots to fish. We shall see.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
Always cool to try unfamiliar territory with some location specific fish! Good job on the CSPs. I'll be visiting family in Manteca, a little bit of a drive to the salt, but I hope to fish the San Joaquin river at least once for striper, or maybe even a sturgeon.