Author Topic: Solo Saturday 7/26/2014  (Read 6849 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Solo Saturday 7/26/2014
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »
 Set out this morning for a local spot that has been productive on the low tide. Today's minus tide at 4 AM seemed to be the call for this particular beach. I tried to get Tom to come along, but he was too busy. At 530 AM? Whatever.

Halfway to the beach I realized I forgot my phone. Kinda smiled to myself, expecting something nice, since I would not be able to get a pic to remember it by.

So, I get the big gear set up, baited with a frozen perch head, grab some crabs and start to try to get some perch for bait. No sooner did I hook a perch than I get bit on the long rod. First cast for both rods and they both get bit. Talk about first cast curse. Double.

Turns out to be a nice leo, maybe 4 1/2 feet. Cool. bait up with the whole perch I just got, not my usual procedure but I didn't want to walk over to get my knife. This proved to be a mistake as I got a big hit and it dropped off before I got to the rod. I blamed it on the hook not getting into the fish.

Rebait, cast out and I am bit again in minutes. This one sticks. Cool, 2/3. I'm happy. Then another missed bite. Dang 2/4. Average is dropping. But, its not even 630 yet so I'm still happy.

Time passes and I'm bit and get another in, 3/5, then another successful catch, 4/6. Dang, it is a good day today.

I kept getting bit every half hour or so, some stick, some don't. The biggest problem is getting to the rod in time when I get bit catching bait. Going to have to go back to my old system.

Eventually, I am 6/9, then miss the next two bites, making me 6/11. I packed up and left before I dropped below 50%. Then I went home and grabbed my phone to take a few selfies;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Saturday 7/26/2014
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »
Well done sasquatch... even if you only have stock photos to show for it.  That was a hell of a lot better than we did in the boat today.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:43:01 PM »
I'm just happy we didn't get vaporized.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:34:14 AM »
Me too.  After reading some reports, we were in a tougher situation than we imagined.

BTW, I'm thinking Josh joined this forum, but is being a lurker here also (Right Josh?)  Zero posts?  Content Boss.... Content!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
 Yeah, the whole Venice thing. Jay was next to a phone pole that got hit. Reiner got knocked out standing on the wet sand. Way to close.