Author Topic: Tidal movement  (Read 2191 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Tidal movement
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
I was just perusing over some tide chart graphs and saw that the biggest movement this year between the high and low (8.5') is going to happen on the 13th & 14th of this month (a 7.0 high to a -1.5 low) & then again on January 11th & 12th the biggest swing in 2017 will happen (6.8 high to -1.6 low)
Any thoughts on how to use to an advantage, if any, these big tidal swings and all the water movement they're going to create, while the opportunity is upon us? (Assuming the waves and weather will be behaving)
Of course some structure surveillance during the minus as well as exposure of the big juicy clams of Tom's dreams... but how to fish it? what locations types? Bay and inlet mouths?
On a side note I can't believe it took me this many years to notice the "low low" is always preceeded by the "high high", and never the other way around. It looks like the "high high" is always preceeded by the "high low", never the "low low"....
Like I said, perusing.... :D

All I know is it's butt ass cold and windy up here right now and that means one thing...deserted beaches. 8) At least it's an offshore, I'm thinkin I need to bundle up and hit the sand this weekend
JOE

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: Tidal movement
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
It would be sweet if there was a website that had satellite photos taken at super low tide.  Anything like that exist?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 07:44:46 AM »
It would be sweet if there was a website that had satellite photos taken at super low tide.  Anything like that exist?

Not unless Google has time lapsed satellite images, but even then the shoreline would have changed by the time the satellite made the multiple orbits to get back to the same place to take another pic.  Unfortunately, they can't drive the satellites to where they want, but just let that mine field in space just run their orbits.

I wish though, that would be a game changer.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:00:59 AM »
Google Earth pro would let you look back in time. Lots of shots with high and low tides and some nightmare surf days.

I got that on one computer but don't know if still an option to download

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
On Google earth you can see underwater structure to about 20 feet deep it seems in most places. The trick is to check "3D Buildings" in the "layers" column on the left side of the screen and use the current view, not historical. Looks like they use some kind of 3D imaging that picks up things under shallow water. Try it, look at the Cardiff Reef for example, there's no way all that structure could be seen unless the water was way clearer than it ever gets. Compare the same area with the 3D buildings checked and unchecked and you can really see the difference.
 (I swear if you look closely it looks like it picked up a 7 gill on the south side of the reef a about hundred yards offshore  ::))   
 (at co-ordinates 32 59'51.62" 117 16'42.37"W from an eye alt of about 150') See it? :D

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »
Nice, I had noticed that as well with the 3D view.  That's how I found a couple tidepool spots to check out in the future.  I thought they were just pics snapped at low tide though.  If they're actually using some high tech method to make the water clearer than it is, then that's pretty badass.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
You guys are part me. I still do it the old fashioned way, but need to look into your tricks.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:39:17 AM »
Everyone's got their own opinion, myself.............not a fan of big tide swings.  Another problem is most of the areas I fish you run out of beach at around a 4' tide and the structure is out of casting range.  Don't really know why, but my best fishing is on a gentle outgoing with no more than a 2 1/2' swing.  Kind of like this coming Wednesday morning   ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:42:43 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect