Author Topic: FYI Bat Rays Have barbs 11/18  (Read 7439 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Re: FYI Bat Rays Have barbs 11/18
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
So it's not that bad, more of a gash than a puncture. He said it looks clean and the swelling was just mostly from bruising. Didn't even get any antibiotics, just said to keep the cleaning regimen up, but to come back if it regresses. Looks like I may have dodged a real bad situation. Damn Steve that looks painful as all hell, much more than my location I'm sure. Maybe this can turn into your gnarliest maiming by a sea creature post  ;D. Be safe out there guys!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »
I'll look for the really bad images and post them up when I find them.  The swab in my thigh is bad, but the celluites id even worse.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:12:02 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
So it's not that bad, more of a gash than a puncture. He said it looks clean and the swelling was just mostly from bruising. Didn't even get any antibiotics, just said to keep the cleaning regimen up, but to come back if it regresses. Looks like I may have dodged a real bad situation. Damn Steve that looks painful as all hell, much more than my location I'm sure. Maybe this can turn into your gnarliest maiming by a sea creature post  ;D. Be safe out there guys!

Super stoked for you.  Keep an eye on it anyway as mine got infected 2 weeks after the hospital visit.

Good to hear you may have escaped something really serious.   8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 04:31:23 AM »

Glad to hear you got a thumbs up at the Dr.

Donfish

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »
Greenhorns grabassin with Bat rays when yer supposed to be catchin sharks... :o... Sharks got me couple times... both were dead... ???

bmercury

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
wow, Tom. When did you get stung too? And is this why I no longer see pics of you holding them up by the snot holes?  :P

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
wow, Tom. When did you get stung too? And is this why I no longer see pics of you holding them up by the snot holes?  :P
3" into my left leg. Missed my femoral artery by a 1/2".  Cleaned it out myself and fished in extreme pain until I went to urgent care. Cleaned out professionally and gave more antibiotics as I took some that night knowing what was at stake. 2 weeks later, 1 stupid bad cell missed created cellulites and I was 2 days away from not waking up. Needless to say, I got a HEAVY dose of AB and thankfully it all went away.
My new method for pictures on bat fishing is to leave them horizontal. Lol
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:36:56 AM by Latimeria »