Author Topic: Mission Bay Skunkbuster  (Read 1589 times)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Mission Bay Skunkbuster
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »
The boys and I hit a new AO, Saturday evening,the bay with high hopes, as usual. Unfortunately, the tide was less than optimum, but can't catch them at home.
Soaked baits for over 2 hours without a tickle of interest. Started packing up gear and getting ready to mark the session as another skunk, when the glow little longer rod started dancing but no line was being given taken. Hand held the rod for a few moments, waiting for the bumps or loading up. Thought it could be a Spotted, so I handed the rod to son one. He proceeded to feel in the root system for some eel grass. Strange stuff, it was. As we were looking at that, the shorter rod's clicker breifly went off. Same drill, different rod. BUT, this time, some weight and bumps were definitely there. Handed rod to son one and after a brief fight, a little 
Smoothhound came in, all rolled in the gear. Quickly detailing and a couple photo ops, the Smoothie was released, unharmed. Stayed for another 15 minutes before calling it.
The bay felt much cooler. Lots of eel grass. Maybe it while start to happen soon. We all could benefit from some tug of war.

This was our first shark from Mission Bay ever.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Bay Skunkbuster
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:28 AM »
Congrats on your first MB grinner! 

I wish I knew where these things were hiding out.  It's been the longest dry spell that I could remember!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
Beat the Skunk 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 10:21:04 AM »
Things will turn on soon enough. Just hope to be there when it does.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:43:47 PM »
Weird how both the surf and the bay has been dead or extremely slow. Hoping it turns on soon. That's a cool skunk buster though! Kids love sharks of all sizes!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)