Author Topic: Hollow Core Leaders  (Read 19512 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Hollow Core Leaders
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
Man, I guess this is what Steve does or a variation of, but I have to admit... it looks sweet but semi-complicated.

Needless to say, I may have to pick up some hollow core and finally give this an attempt.  Have to learn it sometime as Steve is already ahead of the curve.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/gallery/photo-galleries/2014-08-rig-hollow-core-wind-leaders?image=209113

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow Core Leaders
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
I do a similar thing. Whittled down to basics. Main difference is the serve.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:19:32 AM »
I do a similar thing. Whittled down to basics. Main difference is the serve.

Might have to grab some supplies and head to a bar for a little tying session soon.  8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Sounds good.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »
LOL .. wow ..

Lost me around step 16 ... I'm not there yet  :-[ ;D

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »
Started playing around with this a couple months ago.  Honestly I think it is the bomb.  The steps outlined above, make it seem much more complicated than it is.  I started experimenting when i ran across some leftover hollow-core for cheap at Bob Sands Tackle in the SFV.  One of the guys there actually showed me how to make one without having to buy any of the needles etc.  Just using a piece of 27lb single strand tightly folded in 1/2. If interested, I can post a pic.  I find it so much easier to change shock leaders if needed and absolutely no fear of knocking out a guide with a knot.  I also made a Jig for tying the serve for about 8 bucks from home depot supplies that works well enough.

Since I use 65 lb braid as my main, all it takes is less than a minute to put a Bimini in the braid for my loop and less than another minute to attach my new shocker. I carry 2-3 pre-made leaders in 60, 80, and now 100lb.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »
That's it.  I'm not going to be the last person trying to tie this connector knot.

Time to get some hollow core.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:36:26 AM by Latimeria »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »

BTW, welcome to the boards Fish Jerk  8)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:36:55 AM by Latimeria »

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 11:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, kept meaning to register.

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
Ok, so I'm familiar with this practice for making loops in fly line Dacron backing, but I didn't know there could be a long rod application. So this would be used for shock leader, mainline, or both? Wouldn't I lose all the abrasion benefit of mono shock leader?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 08:28:24 AM »
Ok, so I'm familiar with this practice for making loops in fly line Dacron backing, but I didn't know there could be a long rod application. So this would be used for shock leader, mainline, or both? Wouldn't I lose all the abrasion benefit of mono shock leader?

I agree, but Steve hates hearing that big mono knot running through all of the guides.  His knot is seamless, but there is little in the way to abrasion resistance.  He's caught many on it and lost a few.  My biggest thing is the leader has "Slipped" a foot or two a few times and that scares the crap out of me.  I'll just stay with my big knot mono shock leader.  I thought about it for a while and decided to stick with what works for me. (Not to say that I don't have to learn this because I can see some practical uses for it in some situations)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »

I agree, but Steve hates hearing that big mono knot running through all of the guides.  His knot is seamless, but there is little in the way to abrasion resistance.  He's caught many on it and lost a few.  My biggest thing is the leader has "Slipped" a foot or two a few times and that scares the crap out of me.  I'll just stay with my big knot mono shock leader.  I thought about it for a while and decided to stick with what works for me. (Not to say that I don't have to learn this because I can see some practical uses for it in some situations)

Dave, it is used as a connection from mainline to shock leader. You still have the benefit of the mono's abrasion resistance. I have lost a couple fish to abrasion, one was in the mainline and the others in the mono shock leader. I probably should have changed it out, but was lazy. The connection is mostly doubled line, either hollow braid with mono inserted, or doubled hollow braid. Even the loops themselves are two parallel lengths of braid.
Slippage mostly occurred in the mainline side of things. I have since gone to a solid braid mainline, involving a somewhat different splice, and slippage is minimal. The addition of a flexible CA glue to my nail knot serves has also helped.

An additional benefit, besides the smooth passage through the guides, is much less weed hanging up on the shock leader knot. A downside is in the case of a mainline break it is tedious to replace on the sand, and I just revert to a knotted connection..

Like everything else, there are ups and downs, but I haven't changed back yet.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »

Dave, it is used as a connection from mainline to shock leader. You still have the benefit of the mono's abrasion resistance. I have lost a couple fish to abrasion, one was in the mainline and the others in the mono shock leader. I probably should have changed it out, but was lazy. The connection is mostly doubled line, either hollow braid with mono inserted, or doubled hollow braid. Even the loops themselves are two parallel lengths of braid.
Slippage mostly occurred in the mainline side of things. I have since gone to a solid braid mainline, involving a somewhat different splice, and slippage is minimal. The addition of a flexible CA glue to my nail knot serves has also helped.

An additional benefit, besides the smooth passage through the guides, is much less weed hanging up on the shock leader knot. A downside is in the case of a mainline break it is tedious to replace on the sand, and I just revert to a knotted connection..

Like everything else, there are ups and downs, but I haven't changed back yet.

If you are using braid as the main line, it's much easier to use a small Bimini twist at the end and loop to loop your wind on leader. It doesn't take more than a minute to tie a Bimini in braid even at the beach.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
Haven't tried the bimini. Seems kinda bulky, but I might give it a shot.