Author Topic: Two Firsts  (Read 4163 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Two Firsts
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:57:37 AM »
First I finally hit the 20 lb mark on a yellowtail, and second I caught my first on the surface iron (smaller one).  Tony texted me Saturday night and said if I would take him on the Indian Sunday he would pay, hard to say no.  Crowded boat and terrible current resulting in tons of tangles, but it all turned out good.  I ended up with 3 fish, 2 around 10 or 12 lbs and this one.  I also lost another one that was quite a bit larger in the anchor line.  After fighting it from the starboard stern all the way to the bow (at least 10 minutes) the deck hand took my rod and passed it under the anchor line, fish had other plans and decided to go over the line and back toward the stern   :-[

With only 39 fish between 37 anglers I felt lucky. Jack pot fish was 35 lbs
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Two Firsts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:07:54 AM »
Congrats Verne!  Those are beauties and well deserved on the bigger model!

Pretty soon it's shark fishing time, so I want to see you with some long rods out on the beach.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »
Nice one, Verne.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »
Pretty soon it's shark fishing time, so I want to see you with some long rods out on the beach.  LOL

Couple more months Tom, I'm having a stellar year on the light gear.  Tony was saying yesterday on the boat he's ready for the old "heave and leave" night fishing game  8)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:36:30 AM »
Hell yeah, happy for you verne, very nice amberjack  8)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »
Really nice Verne!
JOE
 What pound test were you fishing with?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 08:13:02 AM »
Right on Verne!  You're becoming a real jack-of-all-trades fisherman!
Time you try your hand at flyfishing next!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
Right on Verne!  You're becoming a real jack-of-all-trades fisherman!  Time you try your hand at flyfishing next!

I fly fished the whole time I lived in Mount Shasta and Bishop Chad ('72 to '97), many more years than I've surf fished.  When I lived up around Grass Valley ('97 to '09) I spent years on the Sac and Feather Rivers chasing sturgeon, stripers and salmon.  It all started when I was 12 fishing for Bluegill at the local park  8)

Really nice Verne!  What pound test were you fishing with?

I use straight 50 lb White Power Pro with a 20 foot 20 lb flouro leader.  When we got into the larger models I went up to 25 lb flouro.  It might just be me, but I feel the bait can swim more natural pulling braid than 30 or 40 lb mono.........leader or not.  I also use a Uni Knot and don't pull it tight, leaving a ring like a live bait ringed hook.  I think that also helps the hook to swing and the bait to swim better.  Don't know if it helps but so far so good.............12 YT in 4 trips :o
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:14:42 AM by vdisney »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
Right on Verne!  You're becoming a real jack-of-all-trades fisherman!  Time you try your hand at flyfishing next!

I fly fished the whole time I lived in Mount Shasta and Bishop Chad ('72 to '97), many more years than I've surf fished.  When I lived up around Grass Valley ('97 to '09) I spent years on the Sac and Feather Rivers chasing sturgeon, stripers and salmon.  It all started when I was 12 fishing for Bluegill at the local park  8)

Really nice Verne!  What pound test were you fishing with?

I use straight 50 lb White Power Pro with a 20 foot 20 lb flouro leader.  When we got into the larger models I went up to 25 lb flouro.  It might just be me, but I feel the bait can swim more natural pulling braid than 30 or 40 lb mono.........leader or not.  I also use a Uni Knot and don't pull it tight, leaving a ring like a live bait ringed hook.  I think that also helps the hook to swing and the bait to swim better.  Don't know if it helps but so far so good.............12 YT in 4 trips :o

Can't argue with results! Nice YT Verne!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 11:03:01 PM »
Nice Verne ...  8) 8) 8) 8)

Hold that sh!t out jonathan style and make it look 40lb  :P :P :P :P

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 06:49:34 AM »
Hold that sh!t out jonathan style and make it look 40lb  :P

Cracks me up Dave when people do that.  Tony showed me a picture of his biggest perch, he was holding it at arms length.  I said "Tony, look at my finger.  Huge......huh?".  I was holding it about an inch from his eyes   ;D ;D ;D

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »

That's great! You've got to be one of the most well rounded fishermen I know of  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »
Nice Verne ...  8) 8) 8) 8)

Hold that sh!t out jonathan style and make it look 40lb  :P :P :P :P

OMG, That was a "Snoopy Rod" crack!   lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.