Author Topic: Outgunned by monster carp  (Read 2099 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Outgunned by monster carp
« on: August 19, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »
Doing some scanning with the deeper and after mapping an area switch to try and catch a carp I saw nudging the weeds. Tried to get some bait but only managed one bluegill.

Had caught one earlier on 10 lb but line popped trying to get it out of the water. It flipped and poof it was gone.

Tied up another leader and tossed near the weeds. A few tentative hits and then foom off goes the line. Engaged the reel and when the hook hit there was a massive wake and line peels off. About a minute of back and forth this monster makes a turn and one massive pull pops off.  >:(

Drag not fast enough, line not tough enough, fish just too damn tough who knows.

Jim

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Outgunned by monster carp
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »
CARPZILLA!
Sounds fun! I keep getting the urge to fish for species other than sharks (fresh and salt water) but my opportunities are so few and far between. I'm always afraid that if I don't fish the long rod every chance I get I'm going to miss a big one.  :-\

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 07:42:13 AM »
I hear on the few and far between chances. I have crap timing and the surf conditions are horrible.

The IV tomorrow is the best shot. Plus I bring home catfish my wife is happy.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »
I love fishing for big carp andcats, but hate the IV drive and heat!

Bummer Jim.  I would have loved to see a monster carp on your post.  You are so due to bust wide open with something for all the time you put in!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »
I love fishing for big carp andcats, but hate the IV drive and heat!

Bummer Jim.  I would have loved to see a monster carp on your post.  You are so due to bust wide open with something for all the time you put in!

The drive does suck as does the heat. I have intel on a location for monster carp 40+lb range and there should be some minis as well. Grab a few fresh ones to add to the catfish bait.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:50:50 AM by spideyjg »

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
Carp are some tuff fish, go back with heavier gear. :)