Author Topic: 8/15 pm - Middle Creek, MT - Go Big, or go small  (Read 2392 times)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
8/15 pm - Middle Creek, MT - Go Big, or go small
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »

I know this site sort of specializes in big game, but, like a lot of things in life, I think you should either go big or go small.  There is no in between.

So I went small yesterday evening.  A quick, two-minute walk from the place we’re staying in SW MT revealed a very small creek.  Average depth appeared to be about five inches.  It was so shallow, I didn’t think there would be anything there.

But there was.  And, although I didn’t land many fish, they were on the rise for small flies.  Not much room for but the smallest roll cast, and not much room to set the hook, so a lot got away.

Purple haze, followed an ant (both size 18), was the ticket.

I left with a big smile, and enjoyed the sunset. 

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 8/15 pm - Middle Creek, MT - Go Big, or go small
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »
Wow Mike!  Super cool Mike.  Even though we specialize in big game, all game is welcomed! 

For a 5" deep creek, that was a nice brownie!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
That's what I was thinking - decent-sized brown considering the low water depth (so much for my 'small' theme). 

The trout had such little water to work with that they often spooked me - even the smallest fish made a big splash hitting the surface.  Funny, looking off at your fly in the distance and then having one jump right next to you and startle you.  Sort of reminded me of casting off at corbina ten yards away only to have one rub against your leg!

I've been meaning to post a video of a redband trout boil I saw on the Spokane river, but I can't get photbucket to take the video and Youtube is making me get a Google Work account for which they charge a fee.  Maybe the free accounts are a thing of the past, but I find it hard to believe that all the millenials out there are paying a monthly fee to post videos of themselves playing video games. 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:31:01 AM by mdcesq »

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
Wow, how beautiful Mike!  I love that country!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
That is great. Beautiful little creek, and holding fish? Sweet.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
That is great. Beautiful little creek, and holding fish? Sweet.

No kidding.  There's some slightly deeper areas, but I still thought it was to shallow to hold fish.  I was shocked when my second cast produced a strike.  Later, I hooked and lost one other fish that was about 12". 

Might walk down again around dinnertime to see if I can get jr. on some trout, big or small.   ;)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
Beautiful colors on that trout!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)