Author Topic: 7/30/16 Bonita Attack at OB Pier  (Read 1721 times)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
7/30/16 Bonita Attack at OB Pier
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:25:26 PM »
The salad has been so bad in the surf lately, I though I would give the pier a shot to make some shark bait. Hit Ocean Beach Pier at 6am today and fished the incoming tide till 9am. (high was at 8am) I brought two set ups to fish below the surface and on the surface. When I arrived I saw large clumps of eel grass patties floating on the surface. I can't seem to get away from this stuff, the shore line was dark with a lot of shopped red algae too. I went to the end of the pier on the left side of the T-intersection. Didn't see too many people on the end of the pier most were fishing the mid section of the pier. I casted the splasher rig out and was quickly rewarded with a mac sized bonito. (12")

I forgot how much fun catching bonito on the splasher rig can be. The bonito would chase the trailing feather all the way to the pilings. I quickly made my limit of 5 fish in an hour. I switched over to the mega bait jig and made a couple of macs too. If you want some fun watching the Bonito blow up on the surface get out there at sunrise.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 7/30/16 Bonita Attack at OB Pier
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:07:43 PM »
Awesome. Thanks.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:58:33 AM »
Nice going Binh! I wish I could've joined you. Besides shark bait, they're also good eats.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »
I should have went to the pier instead of the surf this morning.

Nicely done Binh.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.