Author Topic: 3/4 Day to the Islands 7/28/16  (Read 2983 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
3/4 Day to the Islands 7/28/16
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:01:34 AM »
 Took a couple days off to enjoy myself. Booked a trip on the Liberty out of Fisherman's Landing. Counts dropped from 2.5 fish per stick to basically 1 per rod, so I knew it might be rough, but my usual rides are unreliable lately.

Got to the landing, scored a premium spot right near the dock. Great for carrying all the fish I was going to catch.

Checked in and got on the boat. I was impressed. It was clean, like hospital clean, lots of room on the stern, down the rail and in the bow. I could stand in the galley until the sloping roof got too low.

The heads were nicer than some hotel rooms I have been in. With showers. Bunks were available for $5, but I didn't check them out.

Picked up some smallish sardines for bait and headed out. Got a little treat and saw FLIP being towed into the harbor. Cool research ship that floods one end and stands vertical in the water. A family friend helped design or build it. Been awhile, not sure which.

Great day on the water as we approached the islands.

Started at Pukey Point, got a couple bonita. Moved down the east side looking and did a couple short drifts for no action. Checked out the middle grounds, then south island. Anchored near the tuna pens and started to get some fish. Not huge, but 10-15lb fish. 1-2 rods going at a time, never busted wide open. I got a nice cuda that I popped off at the side of the boat. No point gaffing it, didn't want it.

Fished the hell out of it, but never got anything to go. Boat swing was 90 degrees so it was tough to get in a good position and stay out of tangles. 46 people on the boat. Not sure if the 4-5 dead heads were in that count.

Tried a rally beer,  but it didn't work.

Went to dropper loop and soon got a big hit. Took off for the hills and thats when I found out I needed to have done a better job setting the drag on my new lever drag. First one I've owned. Pushed it to sunset and still had not enough drag. Fish finally popped off without being ID'd. Adjusted my drag and kept on the dropper loop.

Scored some bottom fish for Vee, my adopted Auntie, that may earn me some fresh hot lumpia. Got a couple lings, they said were short. Never heard of size limits in Mexico, but whatever. A couple nice starries and a big treefish. I asked the deckhand why they call them treefish, but I think he was scared to tell me. That's OK, I already knew.

The bite died, we relocated and pulled a couple more fish, I got a nice calico.

After a bit we went looking. West side of south island, middle grounds, east side of north island, Pukey, middle grounds, but nothing much happened. Stayed an extra hour trying.

I did finally get my yellowtail. While sitting in the galley. Never even saw it until I put it in my cooler.

Overall, good experience. Happy with the crew, felt like the captain worked to get us fish, counts showed us second in YT among the 3/4 day boats. Relief cook on the boat for the first time made a mean burger. Been awhile since I bought boat food, bring your wallet.

I would ride the boat again.

I had my shot, but missed.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 3/4 Day to the Islands 7/28/16
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:05:18 AM »
Thanks for the yellow and bass, Steve!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:08:39 AM »
Still have all your fingers? Wondered all the way home.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »
Yep..... feeling it today.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:37:03 PM »
Some of the better shots of the boat I've seen. How does she ride? Hopefully the next trip will take care of the hospital cleanliness.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 03:37:23 AM »
Ride was nice, but conditions weren't exactly challenging.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:06:03 PM »
Post count reply ..  8)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 05:03:40 AM »
You popped off shark bait?

I keep forgetting how the fishing is back in the states. We're so spoiled here in Japan I'll probably go insane my first few trips back.

Keep it tight