Author Topic: technique  (Read 3695 times)

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
technique
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »
Hey guys just wanted to share good technique I have acquired a while back on fishing sharks in the surf. So first of all this works best exclusively for the out going tide when the food starts moving out with the tide the sharks fallow right so What I Have been doing is taking preferred hook and size attaching it to about 5.5 foot of heavy rub leader I use 130# strait to a swivel and to your main line and basically cutting just the tail fins and pectoral fins of a mack or bonita to make it more aerodynamic then hook the mack through the head or between the eyes and basically fly line it out ass on a long cast as far as you can and this is where the out going tide comes in to play! then just start feeding out line and let the tide take your bait out to the sharks. For me I keep feeding line till ether I get a take and you will know trust me or till I almost run out of line.
This way you cover allot of water and your reaching out to those sharks that stay off the surf and at the same time your avoiding most Bat rays. So far I have caght only big leopards with it but its only a matter of time. 

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: technique
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:59:17 PM »
Hmmmm, if your actually getting a flylined bait to get taken straight out by the flow of water I would think you have to be putting it into a rip current or fishing near the mouth of a bay, river or estuary during select high to low periods. Just because the tide is "outgoing" as they say, dosn't necesarely mean the pull of, if any, outgoing flow is going to have more force to it than that of the push towards shore created by breaking waves, and then add the drag of your line attached to the bait as well.. Since your bait is being drawn out by the current wouldn't you want it less hydrodynamic insted of more aerodynamic, so it would get caught by the current as much as possible? Just thinking out loud here. ...I'd like to observe your technique in action sometime, to learn more how it's done.. Ive found when there is alot of movement between the tides the current that is usually created moves parralell to the shore at a fast clip, do you walk down the beach to follow it? Just curious...Hmmm
JOE

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
yes you have to fallow it sometimes but for me the bite comes within 5 to 10 mints of hitting the water mostly because the presentation is so natural. There are times when you have to try different spot because yes the up current does bring it back at times but that is why you cut the fins if you get far enough out there the current seems to just drag it out further and further and I forgot to mention you have to cut off the fins and tail fin to prevent it from spinning on the cast and decreasing your distance also.
and it douse work good also in backs of sandy bays or coves so the key again is a very aerodynamic bait and a far cast to get past that uphill current so to speak. If the bait douse come back I just take a short 15 20 yard walk down and try another spot.
And again I think this is the most natural way you cant present your bait to the shark.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »
I don't know how I could cast far enough without some lead on there...

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:14:32 PM »
Put a 1/2 lb mack on there I guess. I just can't see it with the 30+ foot kelp monsters or zillion strands of eelgrass in the wash sometimes.

Jim

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »
No pic? im callin ... ;)

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 10:54:17 PM »
you don't have to take my word for it. but it cant hurt to try and it works! and also no sinker for a shark to feel no resistance witch means you have a chance at those short striking sharks too that give you a nice big tug and then gone like a ghost not gonna happen if you do this.

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 10:56:12 PM »
And trust 8or 9 oz of mackerel with no tail or fins shaped like a football will fly.

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »
I would not bother fishing any thing but a weedless swimbait if there is a kelp or eal grass problem.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:26 AM »
 ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
I would not bother fishing any thing but a weedless swimbait if there is a kelp or eal grass problem.
I was using a weedless swimbait in the surf last Saturday and still loaded up with big balls of eel grass.  It's just terrible out there for weeks!  Hopefully with the moon waning, it should get better.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 04:50:07 PM »
I don't see how this technique would avoid bat rays...

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »
it wont..... just most of them