Author Topic: Triassic Beach  (Read 2395 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Triassic Beach
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
Unlike the Cretaceous and Jurassic era's, the creature's of the Triassic were generally smaller and now with that quick paleontological lesson out of the way, time for the report.

I saw a window of opportunity and the stress around the house has been hard to manage, so I was going fishing no matter what.  I planned to meet Steve up in his spot around 8 o'clock, but after a big dinner found myself being woken up at 8 on my recliner by my wife asking if I was going fishing.  YIKES!

I bolted out the door and started the journey up.  Steve was already there and in prime real estate... usually where I set up, but I was late, so took his little patch of sand.
Steve was getting lots of bites and finally managed to nab one of the bait stealers!  Not bad for a bait stealer and put a smile on Squatch's face!

Baits were being plucked after a 10 minute soak, so we were burning through baits,  All of a sudden, I see a funny small bounce on my rod and ran over to see the line all slack and hanging at my feet.  I couldn't reel up the line fast enough so ran back for a running hookset.  Finally tension and I got the hook placed just right in his mouth!

Male... 76"....Mackerel Head... and number 32 on the list!

Steve had it and left for home.  I am off today to watch my daughter, so I had a little more time to fish.  The minute Steve was probably at his car and I get another big hit!  I didn't feel good about the hookset, but it was too late and he came ripping up to the surface.  On his first roll/tail slap of the line, he pulled the hook and off he went.  Not a huge one, but a Sevengill none the same.

I fished until 12:30 when I had another big bite and was patient to wait for the line/rod to load up since I missed the initial bite because I was taking a piss.  It never came back and I reeled up to see my mackerel head literally bitten in half....THE LONG WAYS!

It just missed the hook and I was out of bait and time.  Oh well, it could have been a three shark evening, but I'll take one on the sand for sure.

Conditions were epic out there and even smaller than the forecasted surf.  Get out and get back on them!  (Seriously though, this is uncharted territory for me.  I usually don't fish for surf sharks in the summer as I usually have my boat out but with my boat being busted, I'm capitalizing and gaining some summer-time knowledge!)

Until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Triassic Beach
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
Damn, I guess I'm never catching you! At least I'm tied with Josh... Lol!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »
Nice to get out there and catch a shark to help get your mind off things  8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
I was sitting in my car in the parking lot. Almost went back down. Hopefully I'm due for my rally following a slow period with several break offs.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
Nice fish Tom!

Still jealous of those leopard sharks as well.  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
I was just talking to Steve about that.  I'm pretty sure I have not got a leopard this year.  That or at least I can't remember getting one... so Steve is way up on that shark list if there was one.  :)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 01:13:49 PM »
I was just talking to Steve about that.  I'm pretty sure I have not got a leopard this year.  That or at least I can't remember getting one... so Steve is way up on that shark list if there was one.  :)

Out of curiosity, why don't you have leopards on the list?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »

Out of curiosity, why don't you have leopards on the list?

They aren't "Specialty Sharks"? That is my interpretation.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 03:08:09 PM »
Agreed. Leos are kind of "run of the mill" sharks. Still cool, but not as cool as a 7 or soup. Maybe if they got over 8' long...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »
Nice indeed Tom, and FWIW..............I dig leopards  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »
Nice 7!

Leopards are cool but not worthy of the list imo.

They are part of the smoothhound family....