Author Topic: Glow stick bite indicator  (Read 15484 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Glow stick bite indicator
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »
I learned this trick from a Texas shark fisherman and it carried over well when I went to florida. I mainly used the technique on my heavier shark rigs but it worked just as well on the long rods, you just have to compensate for the line you take up when you put the rod back in the holder. I would usually attach the glow stick about 4 feet away from the tip with a tight line and it would work out well when I adjusted the line after getting the rod in the holder.

very simple. crack your glow stick and if it doesn't have a hook on the end just cut one side so it does. place the butt on the line and wrap it around making a half hitch then attach the hook part on the line closest to your rod tip. when line gets pulled out the glow stick goes with it and usually comes off shortly after or as soon as it hits water. there is no danger of breaking your line while doing this.

Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Glow stick bite indicator
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »
I like it and will give it a try.  We usually use the hook part and rest it on the guide next to the tip.  It holds on from the waves and wind but gets thrown in the air on a real bite!  It makes it really obvious that you are on!

I do like that way as it is similar to how I half hitch rig my chovies for cats and stripers.  I will definitely give that a try.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: Glow stick bite indicator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
Yeah - the mini glows with top hook clipped ...and attached to the rod tip have worked perfectly. Need to re-load actually

Nice