Author Topic: The Brothers Grinn 6/8/16  (Read 5212 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
The Brothers Grinn 6/8/16
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
(I'll start by saying sorry for the long post LOL)
My wife and kids were out visiting her parents for a couple of days so I took the opportunity to get some more time on the sand.
My dad got off work a little early and made out about the same time I did.  We wanted to try a new spot Joe had filled me in on.
Conditions were pretty good, light breeze and 1'-2' waves, but there was a slight downhill current that was bring in a small amount of weed debris.
I also found a new source for macs that are frozen, but way more fresh than the others I've been using so I we very optimistic!
We set up shop, got some baits out, and relaxed for a bit.  I also started keeping better track on my soak time, stetting a timer for every 20 minutes (any feedback on that would be great).
Well after a couple soaks and no action we decided to move down to the usual spot.  That was the right decision.  After about 10 minutes my dad's pole starts getting some shakes, as he walks up to it, bendo!  After a really fun fight, I get to play sand hand and drag this pretty Leo up on the beach.  49.5" male.  He beat my PB leopard by more than double!

We get it back in the sea and a few minutes later my rod goes off.  I put the reel in gear and it starts peeling line.  Made two decent runs and we can see the 7gill thrashing and coming half way out of the water.  I wanted my dad to see how strong they are so I handed the rod off to him to fight it a bit and bring it in.  Once he got it to the skinny I tailed it and got it up on the beach.  As he putting my rod in the spike, I look behind him and see his rod going off!  I yell at him to get it and he's on too!  So now he's fighting his while I'm trying to get pics and measurements on mine, it was crazy!  Right as I get mine taped, the hook pulls on his and it's gone  :(
Mine was a fat 92" male.

Those eyes though.

While getting the hook out of his jaw, I got tail whipped pretty good.  That shark burn is no joke!

This guy was feisty, kept trying to bite me all the way back in the water.

We get fresh baits in the water and sit down for a bite to eat.  About 20 minutes later my dad's rod starts going off again.  He sets the hook and a nice 7gill breaks the surface!  He fights if for a bit and gets it in pretty close.  I'm so stoked my dad is going to finally get a big shark!  Right as it gets into the whitewater it makes a strong run and pop!   :(  Another one gets away.  When he reeled in the slack I found that the rub leader had broke a few feet from the swivel.  It was pretty messed up from the first one he had on and I didn't even think to replace it before he put another bait out.  Rookie mistake!  >:(

After looking at his I decided to bring in my rig and check it as well.  Both were pretty scuffed and nicked so we tied on fresh ones and got back to fishing.  As the sun started to set, the downhill current picked up pretty good and started bringing in the weeds.  We were starting to have trouble keeping the baits where we wanted them.  After 5 minutes or so they would start to migrate south from the weed build up.  We're about to call it quits and I'm starting to bring it in when I notice my line is moving south much faster than it should.  I bring it tight and the drag starts ripping!  This one feel really good, it's the hardest fighting one so far.  I can feel the tail slaps and see it on the surface pretty far out.  I can't seem to gain any line on this one and start following it down the beach.  After 4 really good runs we end up in a standoff with him just outside the breakers.  My arm and back were starting to burn.  I slowly worked it closer and closer until the waves help push him up on the sand.  We realized later that the heavy current probably had a lot to do with this one fighting so long.  Another male that measured 88" but sure felt bigger!  His stomach was in his mouth so we got a quick measurement and pics and sent him back out.

We tried one more set, but the current and weeds were too bad so we packed it up.  Ended the night with two big brother sevengills and a nice leopard!  It was a great evening and I'm so glad my dad finally got hooked up a few times and landed that nice Leo.  Might try to make it out again tonight...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:36:56 AM by xjchad »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: The Brothers Grinn 6/8/16
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »
Damn, that's some sweet sharkin'!!!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »
That's killer.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
Not one, but TWO plus a Leo! 

Great Read, Great Blood, Great Sharking!  Now I have more to do by adding even more to the list.  Sheesh! lol
Keep striking while the iron is hot!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
I just skimmed thru this report and haven't read it yet but I gotta say that pic of the 7 biting the sand is incredible. You sure pissed her off ;D

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »
I just skimmed thru this report and haven't read it yet but I gotta say that pic of the 7 biting the sand is incredible. You sure pissed her off ;D

That's the one that slapped me with his tail.  Almost used his tail to push my foot into his mouth!

shoresurfer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »
What a great report.
I am waiting for my new reel to arrive and I will be back on the hunt fr my first 7 or Soupie.
Thanks for the story.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »
What a great report.
I am waiting for my new reel to arrive and I will be back on the hunt fr my first 7 or Soupie.
Thanks for the story.

Cool, what did you end up ordering?

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
Nothing can beat father-son fishing/sharking , epic day on the water ! Congrats!

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 01:15:49 PM »
Awesome job Chad. I was so stocked for you when you texted me. Your dad will get his soon.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
Congrats Chad, all these reports are "almost" tempting me to dust off the long rods  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »
Give that tail slap 3 days and enjoy the scabbiness ...  ;D

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »
Congrats Chad, all these reports are "almost" tempting me to dust off the long rods  8)

Do it Verne!  I'm sure the sharks will treat you much better than the rays did  :o

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 03:15:25 PM »
Nice job..Chad ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

SurffishingSean

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
Great Report XjChad!  :o Two nice 7 gills and Leo. Too bad about the lost fish but thats part of the game. Keep up the good work, I'm still recovering from my first shark burn. lol