Author Topic: Epic night...  (Read 1585 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Epic night...
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
Well, the conditions were at least, not the fishing :D Had a couple pick up, run, and drops, that were most likely just calicos. Don't remember the ocean ever being so calm. I'm talking ankle high swells that didn't even have the power to ever break into a wave lapping on the sand most of the night. Maybe a few calf high sets rolled thru that actually shore broke into a wave. Breeze picked up around 10pm. Kinda strange surf fishing without any whitewater to be seen or waves to be heard...The other thing that caught my attention was all the baitfish in the water, not sure what they were exactly but they were bigger than chovies but smaller than macks. When I would hit the water with a flashlight it would send them all scattering and splashing on the surface trying to escape the beam of light. And since it was so quiet without any waves you could hear the by the 1000s either surface feeding or scattering from things constantly. They seemed to be grouped in balls every 50 -100 feet or so. My best guess is they were either night smelt or grunion but acted like how mullet do as far as being so skitish to any movement. I didn't want to leave as early as I did ,as although I had no solid take downs it still felt fishy. I have this thing called work I have to show up at by 8am 5 days a week though that tends to detract from my fishing time. Maybe it's time to get my priorities straight and start skipping more days of work... ::) ;D           

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Epic night...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
Yep on all accounts.  Last night Steve and I could hear my bait hit the water really clear which I never recall ever hearing before in the surf... like ever!

As for work, I'm up at 4:30 am and Steve probably earlier so fishing until midnight on work nights are brutal and that not factoring in the 35-45 minute ride home!  lol

Bummer on not hooking up last night, but it sounds like you had an opportunity.  Just being able to fish in such a small surf is memorable enough as I can not recall a time like this.  Thanks for posting, Joe...  now pack up your gear and hit the surf again tonight!   ;D 8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
Well, I need to clarify that at least down here in SD... we never see ankle slappers or whatever that surf was called last night.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »
Those are the conditions dreams are made of!
Bummer nothing was eating!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:25:50 PM »
Same for me Joe, but I was light rodding at grey light.  Awesome conditions, terrible fishing  >:(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect