Author Topic: Stuck in the Middle (6/7/16)  (Read 3715 times)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Stuck in the Middle (6/7/16)
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »
I get a call from Mike again saying that he wants to fish and he has to twist my arm, but I agree.  :)

So as tradition dictates we go back and forth over text messages on where to fish. I tell him we should fish our super secret fishing spot that requires going through mine fields and barb wire.  ;)

Since the high tide tonight was forecasted to be at 11:30pm this is prime fishing time for us since we normally can’t get out until 8ish. When I arrive at the spot I see Mike and Jim had already beat me to the spot and they set up about 75 yards apart. Since I see enough room, I set up between them around 8pm. The conditions were epic; the ocean was like a lake with 1 to 2 feet waves, and no noticeable salad or current.

I send my Mac head out and start the wait. Around 10pm an 1.5 hrs before the high tide I get a nice knock down on my rod. I’m over talking to Jim when Mike starts yelling that my rod is going off. I run over and set the drag and hold on. Immediately I know it’s the right kind with the violent head shakes. This shark pulls like a big bat with long steady pulls except for the headshakes as the only give away.  Since I’m in between two other rods my chances of running over someone else’s line was high. Sure enough Mike’s rig gets tangled with mine. Poor Mike he though he was on for a split second. (Sorry Mike) When we get the shark to shore I’m tangled in Mike’s rig and we have Jim play sand hand. It was hilarious watching Jim try to tail this shark. I think he jumped back three or four times when the shark swings back every time he tries to grab it’s tail. It was nice not to land this 7gill shark solo tho.

After detangling the rigs and unhooking this fish it measured out to be 99”

Here is a pic of Jim and I releasing this big girl.  She swam off strong.

I switch out my rig since the wire was all bent out of shape with another 3-way setup. I send out another Mac head and go back to my spot between Mike and Jim. Another 30minutes goes by and then I get another big hit. This was a very fast hit compared to the 7gill bite. I don’t feel any pressure, but as I try to pick up the slack I can feel the fish is still on. This fish feels the pressure on it and takes off like a bullet. My drag is set a little loose so I up the drag pressure a ¼ turn. I can feel the violent head shakes on this shark with wild left and right direction changes. This is what shark fishing should be like with fast quick runs. Mike and I witness this shark go airborne two times.  We both knew this was a Soupfin Shark. I tire her out so my Sand hand, Mike does his job and tail grabs it for me. Jim measures her at 63” and we release her to be caught another day.

Here is me not able to lift this shark for a photo.

I pack it up at 11:30pm but left Mike all my Mac heads to land his elusive 7 gill. I know he’ll land it someday.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:26:09 AM by 1morecast »
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in the Middle (6/7/16)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
Kickin some ass, Binh.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
One of each, nice work Binh!  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
Wow.... what a time to have my Photoshop down...  I better start at least keeping my database updated as I have at least a dozen sharks to enter!  Wow!

Keep kicking butt, Binh!  It's fun reading about you making Jim and Mike squirm!  ;D lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 12:08:56 PM »
Wow.... what a time to have my Photoshop down...  I better start at least keeping my database updated as I have at least a dozen sharks to enter!  Wow!

Keep kicking butt, Binh!  It's fun reading about you making Jim and Mike squirm!  ;D lol

You should have seen Mike jump back when he moved the tape to the nose and she snapped at him. ;D

Not sure if I could have dragged her too far up. She was heavy.

Jim

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »
Damn all these grinners are freakin crazy! Congrats bro!

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
Real nice shiz!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »
One of each, WTG.................... ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Nice job that is a beast!  8)

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »
Congrats on the double barrel ...  8) 8)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »
Good job !!  8)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 11:24:48 PM »
kick ass night B 8) 8) 8)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 06:34:47 AM »
Nice work, seems like the sharks are plenty 8)  BTW, glad your setup didn't go into the water.......again ;D ;D ;D

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »
Nice work, seems like the sharks are plenty 8)  BTW, glad your setup didn't go into the water.......again ;D ;D ;D

That was when I was a rookie.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)