Author Topic: Calicos and Barracuda AM Report 6/7/16  (Read 1306 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Calicos and Barracuda AM Report 6/7/16
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:05:41 PM »
Headed out this morning and arrived to the AO at 0 dark 30. Pretty nice conditions out there except there was some wind today, the waves were pretty calm considering. Lots of Stingrays around and could see some fish chasing bait. With my headlamp on I looked down in the water and I saw a shark, I think it was a leopard but couldn't tell. It wasn't coming in to close to me which was just fine by me but he stuck around and just the feeling was creepy especially in the dark. There was more salad in the water today than yesterday.

Started chucking the LC and it took about 20 minutes before I get a nice hit, at first I thought I had a WSB on the line they way it was pulling and the headshakes. I was like YES!! Then I reeled in closer and laughed to myself and said maybe next time.

Short Calico Bass and the skunk was over.

She hit the lure pretty hard and now I can see why the fight was a little harder than normal.

Retied and went back out looking for some flatties. About another ten minutes in I get a nice thump and thought it was a Halibut. Reeled it in closer and got myself a nice Legal Calico at 15 inches. Nice little fight too.

Time was running out and at first light the wind was picking up a little bit more. I made a nice cast and my line went tight as soon as the lure hit the water. Delayed reaction by me and start reeling and see a Barracuda on the other end. Jumping out of the water and thrashing everywhere. I really wanted to get a picture, but I had to get going and the Cuda was bleeding from the foul hook. It was only about 12 inches long though. But it is my first Surf Cuda, I have caught them in the goon before. Shook it off the hooks and headed back in and called it a day. Water was warm and I did catch some nice fish. Left the beach with a smile.

Thanks for reading. Until next tide.

Joel