Author Topic: Bait Cannon  (Read 7909 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Bait Cannon
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »
Has anybody built or have any experience with Bait Cannons/Launchers?

From what I've found online, it looks like they're legal according to state law and DFG regulations so long as they're air powered. The design is pretty simple and you can make one for like $50 in parts. Big question is the air supply, but I think a $40 scuba tank with a regulator & fill hose ought to get the job done.

Given that I'll be using it in The OC, it will be limited to night trips so as to not attract too much attention.

Built out of Schedule 40 PVC rated to 400psi, I'm guessing it will be able to launch an 8&Bait Chumcicle 150 to 200 yards. But I'm also guessing there's going to be a little trial and error figuring out how to make the Chumcicle's and keep them cold enough for a decent grinner soak session.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
Anybody have an emergency beer?

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Bait Cannon
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:34:04 AM »

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:32:12 AM »
Thanks Longcast!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 04:48:36 PM »
Thanks Longcast!
NP Out of all that,I think Tinker's dry ice idea has some real merit if put to some right minds. It serving as two crucial main elements, propulsion source and keeping the baits in a launchable condition is huge...think big,300+yrds is feasable. Much more than that though you open the issue of the line capacity of only but a few spinning reels on the market.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:33:38 AM »
Make sure to include a safety valve, something to release the pressure in a worst case scenario, similar to an air compressor safety valve. Don't wanna blow your face off with an unintentional pipe bomb.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
Well?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
Version 1.0

Results? Mixed.

Let me say that I don't really want to put too many specifics out on a public forum where some idiot can use them to f@ck themselves up and ruin this for the rest of us. I trust the users on this forum, so if anybody wants details or has any expertise with materials, fabrication, and/or the engineering/physics involved with this please PM me and I'll be happy to share.

Long story short, if you have physical limitations that prevent you from casting a normal bait the same distance in the surf that an experienced surf caster can achieve, Great News, you can be in the game pretty quick and relatively cheaply. PM me and I'll hook you right up.

But, if you want to f@ck with The Tax Man like I do, then it's going to get serious and not be cheap. Ultimately I want a portable device that's capable of deploying a 8oz-10oz weight, plus a 6oz to 8oz whole mackerel, plus the chum fluid to hold it all together 100yds to 200yds controllably, quickly, reliably, consistently... AND SAFELY!

And from what I've learned already, there are issues with materials, air supply and keeping the baitcicles cold enough for a 4-6 hour soak session. I'm 100% confident that all of these can be overcome ;D

I'm going to step this up and build version 2.0 to gather some more data and experience. Based upon my initial tests, I strongly doubt version 2.0 will meet all of my requirements. Version 2.0 should be able to get a bait further out into MB, and it most certainly will get a bait out further for us in The OC when we have restricted casts on a high tide. It will also let you deploy a heavier sputnik sinker with your bait so you can hold your position better in a strong tide swing. And yes, we will have it for Bat Fight ;D

But, if your target is The Tax Man, and mine is, I think ultimately for us in The OC it's going to require some serious pressure and some serious custom metal fabrication because of the material limitations of PVC. But before I do that, I want some more data to narrow down the final design specs.

Tom, it's definitely doable.

But, as I've learned there are definitely some hazards involved. I have experience working with high pressure equipment, so I'm pretty confident and comfortable doing this. However, I don't want to help get anybody hurt because they got in a rush, skipped a step, were sloppy in their fabrication, tried to save some money on components, or were just generally a dumb ass.

Nor do I want irresponsible people harming The Tax Man.

This is definitely extreme Surf Fishing territory. Nobody is going to get rich or even make much money trying to build and sell these. These are going to have to be custom one-offs. If you think this is a money making idea think again!

If you're interested, PM me ;D

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »
My favorite line is "long story short" as I can well imagine what it's taken to get to V1.0...Good work, and very smart of you to handle the how to's like you are as, long story short, if somebody dosn't know what they're doing they could f themselves or somebody else, up real bad...
JOE

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »
Looks like I might have to spend my weekend putting together a functioning  model...I separated my shoulder a couple of days ago and there is now way I'm going to be able to 2 arm cast for some time. It's going to be a while before it heals up... :'(

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 11:05:37 PM »
Got out on Monday night for a couple of hours but not even worthy to put in the reports section as it was just salad, salad, and more salad...at 3 different spots...but, I brought along my recently assembled new launcher prototype, so spent an hour or so test firing with different bait, hook & sinker rigs. First of all this thing fired 10 times my expectations for it. Holy S***! Well over 200 yards easy!  :o Wasn't expecting that. I thought I was just going be finding out if this basic design would perform by starting at shorter distances and lower pressure just using a bicycle foot pump and only filling at 60-70 psi.. I think it's the reduction from a 3" tank down to a 1-1/2"  5 ' barrell on this design version that does the trick. So now I have to work on the bait deployment and rigging aspect of this, as I want to find a way to do it without having to rely on having to have the usual frozen bait bullets at hand that seem to be always used  to be able to deploy. I know there has to be a way to be able to launch baits without doing the whole pre-preped frozen , and keep it frozen system. I'm thinkin some of that PVA mesh that's popular with English carpers could be a solution. It's a fine mesh that can be wrapped around your bait and hook to keep it all together until it hits bottom, and then the entire mesh just dissolves away completely after a minute or two after being in the water.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 06:04:39 AM »
Wow, that's crazy!  You are in thresher and mako territory at that distance!  lol

So cool for seeing something different being tried.  Bravo sir...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
That thing is cool Joe!
I've had a lot of experience with potato guns growing up, but I think an explosive bait cannon might attract too much bad attention  ;D

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »
OMG! I'm getting CHUB 8)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »
So I found another option that looks way fun and easy transport just slung over your shoulder!
Not sure how comfortable I'd be walking down the beach with it though  ;D

http://odditymall.com/can-cannon-beer-can-launcher-gun

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
So I found another option that looks way fun and easy transport just slung over your shoulder!
Not sure how comfortable I'd be walking down the beach with it though  ;D

http://odditymall.com/can-cannon-beer-can-launcher-gun

Lol that looks cool, but I think it would garner a lot more unwanted attention than joes seeing as it uses an actual rifle.