Author Topic: In pursuit of Salmon  (Read 15760 times)

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
In pursuit of Salmon
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »
Lately (the last 6 months or so), I have been really interested in salmon. I would love to catch one but have limited funds and short windows of opportunity since my college classes take up most of my time.

I was wondering if anybody here had suggestions or experience when it comes to salmon fishing, particularly here in California.

Guides are expensive so I would like to do this from the shore, if at all possible. Rules seem very strict as well along with when the season is open and what species of salmon can be targeted. I only plan on CPR and would ideally like to target fresh fish who haven't started the whole spawning thing yet.

Thanks for any advice!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: In pursuit of Salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:20 AM »
I've never fished Cali for salmon, but I have a friend who used to fish up north for salmon.  I'll see if I could get a hold of him.  I think Steve knows someone up there also?  Maybe he'll chime in.  He's done a similar fishing at the mouth of some rivers up in Oregon which i imagine is close.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Something new from DFG (I know, it's DFW now, but just like the Jewfish... I won't convert!)  ;D

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Guide

It was taking a while to load, but looks to be helpful.  I have not gone over the complete link yet, but will soon to see what it really has to offer.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Tom.

During my research I found this link as well:

http://www.casalmon.org/salmon-snapshots

It seems like some of the sport boats up north target salmon as well. I'm all for that (better shot at landing a fish) but at the same time I like the idea of doing it from the shore (river).

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »
I visited friends in Oregon. Had to try for salmon.

Looked up rivers in the area, browsed forums for general Intel, picked one, looked up regs including gear and bait restrictions, allowed fishing areas, species restrictions. Google maps for an idea of where to gain access to likely spots.

Put it all together. Saw fish. Saw fish caught. Got skunked. Enjoyed every minute.