Author Topic: Bait cast long rod suggestions  (Read 4644 times)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Bait cast long rod suggestions
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:21:13 AM »
I'm looking into getting a long rod or two to be used with a Penn Jigmaster 500 or a Diawa Sealine. A 10 to 14 foot length would work. $200 or less. I need to bulk up my gear for pounding the sand on the big pond.
I looked at the other post about long rods and most were for spinning gear. I figured that anyone's thoughts here could get me in the right direction.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Bait cast long rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »
Good write up by Paddy that should help you out.

http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=1074.0

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
I'll go over that write up again. It was very good and thorough. Some of the images were difficult to tell if the guides were for spinning or conventional. Or the descriptions didn't specify. It's quite probable that I'm not sure what to look for. Usually,  the guides for conventional rods are small.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:02:55 AM »
The ocean master from bass pro 12 footer is what I use. Tosses 8 ounces of weight +bait easily. The only downside is one piece is about 7 foot alone.

Jim

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:44:04 AM »
I'll go over that write up again. It was very good and thorough. Some of the images were difficult to tell if the guides were for spinning or conventional. Or the descriptions didn't specify. It's quite probable that I'm not sure what to look for. Usually,  the guides for conventional rods are small.

The pics might not be correct, but I know they were all casting rods because that's the only kind Paddy was looking at.  You can confirm the model numbers on the manufacturer's website.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
Try the penn battalions. At about $150ish they are good quality. Everyone here who uses them seems to love em.

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
I went over the ones that were listed and I have many options to take into consideration.
If you guys can keep giving some input, I would deeply appreciate it.
Your opinions will weigh heavy considering the experience and caliber of talent on this site.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »
What are your weight and bait goals. I.e. Eight and 1/2 Mac needs a different rod than 4-5 and a squish.

I can say I have been very pleased with my penn battalion (4-10oz) model. Loads and handles great with 6 + big bait. I could push 8 and a squish easily but I feel 6 is the sweet spot. I tried the 6-12oz version and had trouble loading the rod with a 10oz torpedo. If you like 8+ 10 inch hunk of Mac, this rod would be better, I found it was too much for me. Best place I have found to get the battalion is from Wally World online. They are currently running $109 and $115 respectively with free shipping to store or home. They come well packaged in a heavy cardboard tube. And Walmart will take it back if you don't like it.

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »
Are there any stores that one can go to and physically hold some. Preferably, North County but I will travel into San Diego.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »
Bass pro in Rancho has the prevails, oceanmaster, daiwa sealine, and I'm sure a few more.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »
Last time I was at bps (1 month ago) they had very little in the surf rod selection. I think they have been changing out discontinued items.