Author Topic: User Error 6/24/14  (Read 7711 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
User Error 6/24/14
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
 Hosted a couple friends and my dad at the beach today. One from out of town here for work, another who will be moving in a couple weeks and dad who is just along for the scenery.

I arrived first to the beach and set up my gear, pinned a frozen perch on and cast out. Just then, Steve comes down the beach, so I set up my other rod I was loaning him for the evening. He cast out some mackeral he brought along.

Couldn't have been 10 minutes later and my rod is screaming. I grab it set the hook and start to fight what feels like a decent bat ray. Just as the line passes over the head of a couple swimmers, the leader breaks at the knot. User error 1.

Re tie, re bait re cast, and set to waiting. Thankfully the weeds I expected to be a problem with the rising tide were no big deal. Soak time was excellent.

I get bit again, this time by a nice shark. It made a clicker ripping first run, turned and came towards me, then zig zagged in the waves. Classic leopard shark. I got the shark into the skinny water, got a glimpse of the tail in the glare of the sun and POP, it came off. Crimp pulled. User error 2. Ugh.

About this time Dan showed up and started catching perch. Nice fresh bait is always nice to have, and it paid off in a third bite on my gear. Steve's rod sat untouched still.

Once again, my rod bends. Steve saw it go down, but couldn't get the words out, just clapped his hands, pointed and then I heard the clicker. Pretty quick reaction on his part.

This time, the third time, was the charm. I beached a nice leopard shark with a pretty good sized crowd of spectators. Came in tangled with Steve's line despite our best efforts to avoid it.

Not that great a pic, but my photo staff had other plans tonight.

Got bit once more but it took my bait and ran before I was able to set the hook. Too far away on the other side of the reef. User error 3.

Still it was a beautiful evening with some friends and family on the beach. Even got a nice fish to boot.

I was hot stick tonight, Steve's rod never did get picked up. Even when he threw way left into my spot. Can't blame him. I would have done and have done the same.

Congrats to Willis on his first surf leopard down the beach a ways.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: User Error 6/24/14
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »
So that's where Willis and Josh were fishing!  lol.  I think he gave me some phony location via text, unless he was not fishing with you.

I would have been there, but it has been a crazy 24hrs.  It was fun seeing my buddy off last night though.  Too bad I took all of his money and didn't even feel bad about it.  ;D

I have Thursday off to watch Hannah and take her fishing.  She actually wants to go to the beach, so I might have to set up some rods for us somewhere.  I probably should fish the surf tonight since I do not have to get up early tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:04:41 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
 He was down the beach a long ways, at least a city or two.  Text location is probably accurate.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »
Sounds like great action. Great pic too Steve!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »
Thanks, Dave, good to have you around.