Author Topic: 2/13 MB Report  (Read 2093 times)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
2/13 MB Report
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:27:20 AM »
Yes, two fishing reports in the same week! That must be a record for me.  :D
With the long weekend this week, I thought I'd get in another MB session. Joe and Mike both got the invite but they couldn't make it so it was going to be a solo session. I remembered a buddy (Garik) from work was a fisherman and I kept telling him about how much fun bat fishing can be, so I send him a text invite. He's game so we meet up in our AO around 8:30pm. The high was not until 1:30am so I wasn't in a hurry to get to the spot. We set up two rods (one conventional and spinner) I give the Garik the the spinner and the prime spot, hoping to get him a fish. The tide was filling in fast and we had to keep moving the rods back every 1/2 hour. Garik is a fly fisherman and is used to light gear, so using the long rod with a 10/0 hook with 100lb crimped leader was very different for him. ;D We get our first hit at 10:15pm and it's on the spinner. Garik makes short work of this  25" bat with the Baitrunner 12000.

25"

After the 25" ray my buddy is pretty pumped about bat ray fishing. His mind is kinda blown when I tell him that's a small one.  ;D another 30 minutes go by and we get our second hit of the night. This time it's a much bigger initial hit and run. The bat takes the bait right toward some land based obstacles so I had to take the rod from Garik to avoid getting hung up. I give Garik back the rod and we had to follow the bat back up the sand. Being a Saturday night we had a crowed of people who followed us to see what we had caught. Once we button down the drag we started gaining line on the ray. Garik is a big guy but not use to fish that pull this hard. (trout fisherman ;)) It takes him about 5 minutes to beach this ray.

44"

Here is the release

Another productive evening last night. Always fun sharing the experience with newbies. Both fish caught on 4oz cannon ball rig with 10/0 hook with double squid.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

xpoc

• Shovelnose
  • Amat Victoria Curam
    • View Profile
Re: 2/13 MB Report
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
Nice! 8)

He might never enjoy fly fishing again.. way to go :D
BAT FIGHT!!! SD4TH3W1N 2016

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
Yeah, going from trout to mud marlin is like going from a Toyota compact pick up to a GMC C5500 4x4 Duramax Diesel Truck!  LOL

Great session guys!  The Bat Ray Bug has hit! lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »
Hey, you spot poacher!!  ;D ;D ;D :P :P

Nice session guys. Really great seeing the bats again.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »
Nice one Binh! Get him on the board and to the SNBF! Sorry I couldn't make it, I think the baby knew I wanted to leave, so she did her best to keep me home. I'll go next time!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)