Author Topic: Fresh Bait a must??  (Read 4544 times)

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Fresh Bait a must??
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:27:16 PM »
So I've heard people go on and on about the necessity of "fresh bait".
Is it really necessary? Whats the difference? I mean i can freeze a chicken breast for a few weeks and barely notice the difference myself... Its quite a bit out of my way to pick up fresh bait so just wondering.... Any one know how old the mack is they sell at the bait shop?? Anyone know a spot for fresh baits in North Ventura?
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Bait a must??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
I won't fish unless I have fresh bait.

Some of that frozen shi!t in stores can easily be a year or 2 old.

Sharks know the difference..

I believe Tom did a write up on fresh bait?

Edit:

Here it is
http://prehistoricsoul.com/better-baiting-for-big-game/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:51:29 PM by Eric H »

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
That's pretty much all I use now. What ever they have at asain markets, or what ever is at the tackle shop. Lately I go more for convenience.
 I like the frozen since it stays on best for me. It's bin getting harder to get out and catch fresh bait.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »
Ray, have you noticed a difference when using fresh/fresh frozen vs bait shop mak?
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »
I have gotten bit well on the mackerel from my local bait shop. I know Ray buys there too. I have also caught nothing on the same bait. Same results as with bait I catch myself and freeze. I haven't had the luxury of catching mackerel and using it fresh. If I'm targeting leopards I try to catch fresh perch and prefer it to frozen mackerel.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
I'll only buy bait from any store if it obviously doesn't look old, i.e mushy meat, white eyeballs, no blood when cut open, etc...  I will refreeze fin bait only 2x and then it gets tossed into the water at the conclusion of my session. Squid keeps better, but once it starts to turn pink and really give off a smell, it also gets tossed. I also keep my baits on ice while fishing.

Fresh bait is key!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »
While we're on topic, but this is only about squid or squish, not mack...What I've found about buying squid is this...The type they sell in a regular supermarket ie: Ralphs, Vons etc. either packaged or over the counter in the meat dept.,intended to make calamari with, although it is fresh, is not good for bait at all. Also I've noticed in some bait shops they are starting to sell this squid in a paper box instead of the good old paper tray in a plastic bag brand. Before I remember it saying "Not for Human Consumption" on the package, but with this new brand in the paper box I notice on the side, the daily nutritional values ie: calories per serving, carbs, protien, sodium etc. The conclusion I've come to is that the type for human consumption does not work well for bait because it has been cleaned up somewhat. The white fatty looking mushy guts stuff, the messy ink sacs and that clear plastic feeling  inner skeleton structure that holds it on the hook well, inside of them naturally, has been removed so it is fit for human consumption. I've actually tested the good old frozen "not for human consumption" type side by side with the edible type, on a two hook dropper rig set up, alternating each cast each type from top hook and then bottom hook, and vice versa, and would fish heads of each type on each hook at a time, so all factors were as equal as could be and... the market bought fresh but cleaned squid, hooked only 1 fish to the uncleaned type's 7 fish over a 2 hour period. (4 fish on the bottom hook, 3 on the top dropper for "not for human consumption"vs 1 fish on the bottom dropper, 0 on the top for "calimari" type squid. I did this because I used to go out for a sesh when there was no bait shops open when I got the spur of the moment urge to soak a line so I would stop by the only thing open and on my way which was a Ralphs supermarket. After a few skunks at usually productive spots it got me wondering, so I did this test. Now I just have my freezer stocked at all times with 3 to 5 packages of the good ol bait type squid at least so I can go anytime the urge hits me and not be at the mercy of the bait shop hours and skunks anymore. 

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
Ray, have you noticed a difference when using fresh/fresh frozen vs bait shop mak?
At this point it makes no difference to me what I use, I feel if it's there, they probably won't pass it up

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
That's interesting, Joe, I prefer the boxed squid over the tray stuff. I must be getting different stuff because what I get is totally intact. Not missing guts etc. I prefer it because it is a solid block with less burn on the outer layers than I see on the trays. I haven't paid any attention to whether it is labeled for human consumption or not. I will next time.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »
I get the blue boxed stuff at the 99 ranch market.

I've done really well with it for some time now.

I'm pretty sure it's for human consumption.

I only use squid when targeting rays and that's all I catch on it.

Oh and shovels too....

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 05:15:54 PM »
I get the blue boxed stuff at the 99 ranch market.

Same here.

The full sized squish that weigh about a pound are full of innards

Jim

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 08:30:25 PM »
+1 for the blue box, works great for me

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 06:11:49 AM »
+2... It's my go-to if I'm not catching my own squid.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »

+3 for me as well on the blue box stuff (with the caveat that I hardly ever use squish anymore ;))
I ve used the tray and the box and as Squatch said I feel that you get less burn on the block.

Just my half cent's worth ::)
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner