Author Topic: VC.. Finally great conditions...  (Read 2570 times)

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
VC.. Finally great conditions...
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
But slooow in the VC! Been doing a lot of recon lately, decided it was time to soak some bait. The ol' lady and I headed out for a 6-10pm sesh. First AO was nice and calm but salad galore, so we quickly moved down the road a couple miles. 2nd AO was premium conditions. Low surf, no salad, no wind, absolutely beautiful out. Although our camp did get pummeled by a rogue wave! Caught a couple SNFG on the light gear to keep the skunk off but not even a nibble on the big stick.. Again.. Lol. Can't wait hear the clicker go and to get my first surf beast, nothin but SNFG from the surf so far for me...  Hopefully I'll find that honey hole and Lady Luck soon.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: VC.. Finally great conditions...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
It's only a matter of time man 8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
Put in the time. It's the only way.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:00:17 AM »
Yeah i know i gotta pay my dues. I still have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to the geography of my stompin grounds. Gotta figure out where the hot spots are, which areas regularly produce, which areas are comfortable and fishable, parking etc...  It doesn't help that my first real season on the sand is an "off" year. I'm tempted to go back to fishing the harbor for a bit just to remember what the clicker sounds like though:) I have had a lot of problems with the salad though... Is that normal for this time of year? Nothing is more frustrating then doing your homework, knowing the tides and surf and having scoped promising areas, spending time and money and then there is more salad than water.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
Every time you hit the sand you learn stuff. Parking, currents, tide levels, structure.......

Take a visit at super low tides and super high ones even if you don't have time to fish so you can observe.
For example in Del Mar there is a Powerhouse beach near 15th street. South of it the high tide comes all the way to the cliffs so that area would be sketchy with a high tide rolling in. You would have to get out or get trapped. 

I've been out in perfect conditions and got skunked. Got that Leo Saturday on a falling tide with heavy breakers.

Salad pisses everyone off. Wait until you lose a rig to a kraken of kelp or have 3 wads to on the line to untagle.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 06:21:22 AM »
Just a SNGF story from yesterday.  I was out Wahoo fishing when I saw birds crashing and shot over to check it out.  In 600' of water, there was a sea lion tossing around a shovelnose trying to eat it.  Not the typical location or place that you would expect to find or see that.

With that, I would take a Shovelnose as my days and nights have been filled with goose eggs!  Glad you got something!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:07:14 AM »
Just a SNGF story from yesterday.  I was out Wahoo fishing when I saw birds crashing and shot over to check it out.  In 600' of water, there was a sea lion tossing around a shovelnose trying to eat it.  Not the typical location or place that you would expect to find or see that.

With that, I would take a Shovelnose as my days and nights have been filled with goose eggs!  Glad you got something!

I can take you to my super secret shovel-nose spot if you want;)
Cool story, i thought they were exclusively surf habitat critters...

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
It's only a matter of time man 8)

X2, if you don't stick with it.....................it ain't gonna happen  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect