Author Topic: Almost Hero, Finished Zero (9/17)  (Read 2845 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Almost Hero, Finished Zero (9/17)
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:53:09 AM »
I took the Boma out after work yesterday looking for some yellows.  The night before they were calling for small swells and 1-2 foot wind waves.  By yesterday morning, it was going to blow 15-20 with 3 foot wind waves!  This drives me nuts...

I loaded the boat and met Rasta at the ramp trying to get him his first yellowtail.  Wind waves sucked balls out there, but we braved our way to the kelp looking to make some mackerel along the way.  The water was friggand blue and warm! It was the bluest water I think I have ever seen off MB.  The temp was 76.5 to 78 everywhere!

Our biggest issue was trying to find any bait anywhere!  None along the kelp, nothing anywhere.  I was perplexed as the sea was full of life on Sunday morning, but a windy and sunny afternoon is another thing.

Josh finally made a nice Spanish mack and we set up a few drifts while I cast the iron.  I had one chaser, but it wouldn't commit and then I blew up a nasty birds nest on my jig stick.  No way I could get this one out, so I cut it out.  Not much line was left and it made my stick inoperable. 

We started slow trolling the kelp line and known good spot.  I was trolling a 10" Tsunami swim bait while Josh still had his lively Spanish on.... nada... not even a seal.

The sun was setting and we started our way in.  I stopped at a big structure spot and tried to hook some macks.  Josh hooks a mack and then all of a sudden his rod starts screaming out and POP!  The hook breaks off.  I grab my only rod hooked up with a plastic and cast out.  I had a 40# G-Loomis stick on a shimano 401 loaded with 25# Big game and a 7" swim bait.  On the fall and it get whomped, but I missed it.

I let it sink out a few more feet and a f@cking freight train hit!  I got hit half way down and he was running right for the structure.  I started the boat and tried to drag him away, but he was HUGE and had his way.  I had him on for a good amount of time trying to pull him from the structure, but it was "Gain some line, lose a lot of line" type of fishing.  A BIG yellow for sure and as all true reef donkeys... finally ran me across some structure and busted the line....

My line was freyed for 40 yards up and down the line and my heart was somewhere in my boots at that point to lose such a nice fish.  I could only guess what I could have tried differently, but it won't help as I was just under gunned for something like that.

The sun has set and we made a few more passes trying to hook another, but it was getting dark and we had a long haul back to the ramp.  Oh well... so close to Hero, but ended up Zero!  :'(

Good fishing with you Josh...  we had a lot going against us today, but the lack of bait was the worst part of it all.  Next time.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Almost Hero, Finished Zero (9/17)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »
I'd say you should have called me, but it looked nasty out there. I could have gotten out the bird nest though.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »
I'd say you should have called me, but it looked nasty out there. I could have gotten out the bird nest though.

Knocking a few birds off my list while you are on injured reserve.  You would have been soaked and had bruised kidneys today if you went out yesterday.  LOL

Heal that hand up.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:08:18 PM »
Going for a follow up in a few minutes. It's fine but sore. I'm good for Sunday with Jon.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »
Losing the big ones suck! Too bad the conditions sucked cause I hear there's a lot of life near the 9. I'm feenin to get out!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
Good time in $hitty conditions... funny u had on that tsunami bait and there was a tsunami warning ;) at least u found some new way points, and now u know where those reef donkeys hang out in the afternoon B) I'm free Sunday morning BTW ;P hopefully it's not another 18 months b4 I get an invite back on the boma!

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 07:36:33 PM »
ohh the rush.....how did the sled perform?
GET OUT AND GET BIT..