Author Topic: Saturday in The OC  (Read 3095 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Saturday in The OC
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »
Hooked up with JayRay, Binh and Ben at the Beach yesterday. We're still just learning this spot, and got quite the surprise when we pulled into the lot. The front half of the parking lot was covered with sand and rocks. We had a high tide of 6.6', with a swell of 1.5', but still, unbelievable to me that there is enough force in the water to move rocks that size over a 7' seawall. JayRay was standing behind the big cement trash cans for protection. Don't blame him :o

There is a normal asphalt parking lot under all those rocks and sand!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:42:00 AM by BackBayMan »
Anybody have an emergency beer?

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday in The OC
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »
Thanks for invite to fish with you guys. That spot has potential and isn't that far from our home beaches. I want to get proven wrong about how close the tax man will come on shore and the gear needed to land one.  ;D It was fun to fish during the day without worrying about beach goers. We will be back! ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
don't be like Binh and Ben

Lol, yeah don't be like us!

Had one pick up with the baitfeeder drag set.  The line pulled out for about 15 seconds before I engaged the regular drag.  When I did that, the line went slack.  Binh said he saw a tail slap the surface of the water, but I didn't see it.  Mackerel came back with a couple of wide slash marks, and the plastic coating on my wire leader was partially stripped off.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
Glad you guys made it out, my plan was to use the rocks to hold to my rods and didn't have a sand spike with me or would of moved north with you guys. Yea, that trash can saved me a few times from being blasted into the parking lot, usually I post up on the beach in front of those rocks, could not even get down there to cast with out getting pummeled. Supposed to be a foot higher today, I have seen the parking lot like that before but was never there when it was happening. I did manage to get a key chain leopard.

Did that girl from the DFG ask you guys if you would complete her questionnaire?  She tried to walk up to me once earlier but then got hit with a wave so retreated and came back after I caught the leopard.

#MAGA

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »

Had one pick up with the baitfeeder drag set.  The line pulled out for about 15 seconds before I engaged the regular drag.  When I did that, the line went slack.  Binh said he saw a tail slap the surface of the water, but I didn't see it.  Mackerel came back with a couple of wide slash marks, and the plastic coating on my wire leader was partially stripped off.

I saw it too. As soon as you engaged, it slapped the surface and spit your Mac >:(

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »
Thanks for invite to fish with you guys. That spot has potential and isn't that far from our home beaches. I want to get proven wrong about how close the tax man will come on shore and the gear needed to land one.  ;D It was fun to fish during the day without worrying about beach goers. We will be back! ;)

Yeah, I had to learn the hard way too ;D

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »
Is there sand there? How you gonna land a shark without a beach?

I have off the 13th through 15th and may come up,. PM me details. I have 80lb braid and 80 lb rub leader and 12/0 hooks.

Jim

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
Yea, there is sand there, just not in a 6.8 tide. 100 yards north and it opens up to a beach with more surface area, If I had a spike I would of moved. I fished this spot hundreds of times and never needed a spike there. Usually I am sitting in my chair in front of the rocks that wave is breaking over and not fishing out of the parking lot.
#MAGA

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:14:25 PM »
Yea, there is sand there, just not in a 6.8 tide. 100 yards north and it opens up to a beach with more surface area, If I had a spike I would of moved. I fished this spot hundreds of times and never needed a spike there. Usually I am sitting in my chair in front of the rocks that wave is breaking over and not fishing out of the parking lot.

Cool, we have many beaches that get unfishable with a tide that big too.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »

I saw it too. As soon as you engaged, it slapped the surface and spit your Mac >:(

Rubber hooks never work!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
Is there sand there? How you gonna land a shark without a beach?

I have off the 13th through 15th and may come up,. PM me details. I have 80lb braid and 80 lb rub leader and 12/0 hooks.

Jim

PM'd you 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »

Yikes!  Not the best of conditions!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.