Author Topic: Sevengill / soupfin setup?  (Read 9356 times)

ElayE

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: Sevengill / soupfin setup?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »
One more question; everybody seems to use conventional reels out here, yet in Florida they seem more keen to use spinning reels (until they get into the REALLY BIG sharks). Is there a logical reason for the difference, or is it more of a cultural/tradition type thing?

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 10:54:28 PM »
in this day and age its just preference. west coast is notorious for using conventional reels. we grew up using them on boats and that's what we like. most spinners of the same price only 10 years ago would fail if we used them as hard. now days you can get a penn spinfisher 9500 and do the same thing as a sealine 50sha. maybe even more?

something to consider is how well a reel performs on the sand. I can get sand in my senators or sealines and wash it out on the beach no problem. if I get sand up in a spinner it has to come apart to be washed. the spool as to be taken off then rinsed and if sand got into the gear box you have to take it apart. when a conventional reel is properly greased you can sand it or dunk it and not worry about it too much. a quick wash in fresh water or even the surf will get you back in the game.

Keep it tight

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
One more question; everybody seems to use conventional reels out here, yet in Florida they seem more keen to use spinning reels (until they get into the REALLY BIG sharks). Is there a logical reason for the difference, or is it more of a cultural/tradition type thing?

I think it is easier to hold back the spool rather than the line when tossing 8+ oz.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
Lots of great advice and opinions on here! Most are saying 50-80lb braid backing and 30-40lb mono top shot with a rod that can handle 4-6 ounces of lead and probably the same in bait. Like Steve said, check out his post on rigs and Castmater's post on rods. A lot of it boils down to preference and budget. Don't skimp, you'll end up spending more anyways later on to get the "right stuff".

I have 2 dedicated surf rigs:

Ocean Master 12' (OMS12C) rated 20-50
Penn Fathom 40 with 80lb braid and 40lb mono top shot

Calstar 900H rated 30-60
Penn Fathom 40 with 80lb braid and 40lb mono top shot
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
Most everyone knows I live the whole "there's no such thing as overkill" end of the spectrum as I fish two custom built rods speced out for bats and sharks specifically...
Both are capable of 8+bait easily, and I fish straight 100lb braid and I personally make my own rigs that run 130lb steel crimped to 400lb swivels and 250lb mono shock / rub leader.

Most likely waaaaay overkill.....but just in case.....LOL :o
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 07:16:20 AM »
Most everyone knows I live the whole "there's no such thing as overkill" end of the spectrum as I fish two custom built rods speced out for bats and sharks specifically...
Both are capable of 8+bait easily, and I fish straight 100lb braid and I personally make my own rigs that run 130lb steel crimped to 400lb swivels and 250lb mono shock / rub leader.

Most likely waaaaay overkill.....but just in case.....LOL :o

I used 210lb coated cable.....  :P 

actually if you experience problems with kings and the surf messing up the 130 cable, the 210 doesn't have that problem. it wont pull tight into a knot either when the surf somehow loops it over itself.
Keep it tight

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
I decided it was better to loose a bunch of soupies than listen to everyone tell me 80lb mono top shot / shock leader minimum.

Just sayin ....

Wised up and haven't missed one yet.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 10:11:13 AM »
I've seen people lose more gear to braided line breakage when they backlash as there is no stretch. Just ask Binh...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »
I've seen people lose more gear to braided line breakage when they backlash as there is no stretch. Just ask Binh...
I started off with braid because that is what was on my first setup when I bought it.  I too lost gear from the braid snapping during a cast.  Switched to 40 lb mono and haven't had the tangles or lost gear since.  Not that it was completely the fault of the braid, but I couldn't get it to work.  I do use braid as backing though. 

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
I started off with braid because that is what was on my first setup when I bought it.  I too lost gear from the braid snapping during a cast.  Switched to 40 lb mono and haven't had the tangles or lost gear since.  Not that it was completely the fault of the braid, but I couldn't get it to work.  I do use braid as backing though.

Ditto on the braid for backing. I go with about 100yds of 40lb mono then the rest is 80lb braid. Braid has no stretch, so when you backlash, depending on severity of the back lash and the weight of your rig or jig, the braid will snap and their goes X amount of dollars into the drink. Mono will just stretch for the most part, but you won't lose anything. Don't get me wrong, mono breaks too, just no where as often as braid does on a back lash.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 11:57:33 AM »
When i first started long rodding, Ramon recommended 300yds of braid, with a topshot of 100-150yds of mono. I have no complaints so far, it has been a great setup for me. My reel happens to fit 140 yds of mono topshot, which I have found to be perfect.  I cast about  80 to 100yds and usually have to walk back to my rod holder about 20-40 yds away. So typically my braid doesnt touch the water unless I have a fish on. I also have Izorline Brutally Strong braid backing which I have been very happy with, I thought i would have to go through a couple brands to find something good, but I'm very happy with the Izorline for this application.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 08:32:52 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the various techniques and rigs play out Saturday at the "Grinner Get Together".......
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner