Author Topic: Sevengill / soupfin setup?  (Read 9357 times)

ElayE

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Sevengill / soupfin setup?
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »
What pound test do you guys use surf fishing sharks & how many yards on a spool to be safe?

Heavy action rods?

Thanks

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Sevengill / soupfin setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:03:01 PM »
80lb braid on Diawa saltist 40 level wind. 300+yards.

Castin 10 ounces of stuff

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
Welcome to P-Soul Elay....
Well i think its a bit of a loaded question. Poke around the board and read the articles and threads. There's lots of good info on here. You probably want a rod that can throw 6-12oz or 6-10oz. As far as what lb test, i think it depends on your set-up. You want to have 300-400 yds of line minimum. I think the majority of guys targeting these beasts are using 65-80lb braid, some guys use a 40-50lb mono topshot and everyone uses a heavy shock leader of 80-100lb mono. Hope that helps.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »
300 yds of 40lb mono will get it done. Check out the killer post craftsman put up on rods on this board. I would go with a metal frame reel. I've toasted two graphite sealines with heavy drag pressure. 20-30 feet 80lb mono for a run leader. I put up s post on the rig I use. Good place to start, but not the only way.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
Straight 30 lb mono, 300 yards on conventional non level wind reels.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
Straight 30 lb mono, 300 yards on conventional non level wind reels.
Don't listen to Eric. He's PUI.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 07:42:44 PM »
Fairly accurate lol^

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »
Watched a video on long casting, the pendulum cast and those guys like to have a 10/1 ratio between weight and lb test.

I use 6 or 8 oz so I have the 80lb running on the ocean master 12 foot casting rod OMS12C rated 6-12 oz of weight.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
Lol, can't say that I was

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:17:09 AM »
300yrds 50lb braid with a topshot of 30lb mono.  80lb shock leader and 135-210 coated cable. 10/0 circles.
Keep it tight

ElayE

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
Does anybody run 80lb braid main line direct to wire leader / 6-8oz weight, or is a mono shock leader necessary?

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
I wont let braid touch the water while soaking. fighting a fish is ok, but not while soaking. too many bad things happen. sand wears through it, it will slice other line with ease and if it fluffs on the cast, your doomed, its going to birdsnest. haha.

better off running 65lb if you are going to do straight braid. 50 and 65 will cut through kelp with ease. 80 wont unless you can put a lot of pressure on it. and the 80lb shock leader does help and protects the fish from your braid but you can do without it. having zero stretch is risky to say the least. that's how you snap rod tips and break reels.
Keep it tight

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 07:40:35 PM »
Does anybody run 80lb braid main line direct to wire leader / 6-8oz weight, or is a mono shock leader necessary?

I've been doing that using Cabelas King Kat 80lb yellow braid with braid safe sleeves to clip the weights on. Other than due to backlashes I haven't broken on a cast yet.

I also use circle hooks so I am not yanking to set the hook so no fear of snapping stuff due to the low stretch.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:56:00 PM by spideyjg »

ElayE

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »
I wont let braid touch the water while soaking. fighting a fish is ok, but not while soaking. too many bad things happen. sand wears through it, it will slice other line with ease and if it fluffs on the cast, your doomed, its going to birdsnest. haha.

Slightly different scenario, but I'm from the midwest and grew up casting 65lb braid for muskies. I always felt braid was WAYYY more backlash resistant than mono. Seems to be two very separate schools of thought on braid vs mono out here.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »

Slightly different scenario, but I'm from the midwest and grew up casting 65lb braid for muskies. I always felt braid was WAYYY more backlash resistant than mono. Seems to be two very separate schools of thought on braid vs mono out here.

I use straight braid on my Calcutta 250 and 400 and its fine. shorter, more controlled casts. I can control it on the long rod, but some of the casts are insanely powerful and mono is more forgiving IMO. especially when it comes to untangling a backlash.
Keep it tight