Author Topic: Sand Spikes  (Read 6493 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Spikes
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
I've always used the angle iron type with a piece of pvc tube mounted midway for the rod butt to sit in, with a bolt across the bottom of it like Castmaster talks of. Ive had the same two holders for over 20 years, still going strong and I haven't left one behind yet in all those trips. One is made of Aluminum angle iron the other from steel angle iron, both a bit under 6 ft long. The pro of the steel one is that it's rigid when in use and won't flex when your rod get's doubled over and seems to have a better "hook set before you can get to your pole" ratio and doesn't rock in the wind when it's gusting as much as the more flexible aluminum one. The Con of the steel, it's Heavy!
 As far as how I get them sunk into the sand, wet or dry... They have the foot wings welded on 18" up from the bottom but after they're started in then you can just kind of rock it back and forth while applying a bit of downward force and they will dig their selves down into the sand as deep as needed with out any effort.
I also like to attach a fish rag to the bolt that the butt sits on so it's hanging right there so I always have a place to wipe off my hands just before I pick up my rod and reel and also have a slot for pliers to sit in.
Joe

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Spikes
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 05:10:38 AM »
I make my pvc ones 5ft and suck them into the moist sand about 18-24". You can put a bolt through the tube about 10" down from the top to stop the rod.
Keep it tight