Author Topic: Sand Spikes  (Read 6495 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Sand Spikes
« on: September 23, 2015, 04:05:31 PM »
Just looking for any and all ideas.
I currently use a piece of PVC with a 45* cut on the end.  It works ok, but it's kind of a pain getting the rod in and out since the butt end is so long.  Just wondering what everyone else uses and looking for any ideas before I start making some new ones.  I'm thinking of using some aluminum angle and making my own.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Spikes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
Scored 12 feet of killer aluminum angle from the dumpster at work. Cut it in half, made a point on one end. Bolted a 2-3" piece of 1 1/2" pvc to the other. Cut it vertically to remove a section for the rod to rest in. About 18" down I bolted a 2-3" piece of the same pipe to hold the rod butt. The end rests on the bolt.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:44:02 PM »
What santa-squatch looking guy said. Making your own is actually pretty easy. $20 or so from Home Depot in material. A lot less if you dumpster dive.

Good luck.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 11:05:54 PM »
I picked up a replacement at Turners for the one I left, I'm dumm sometimes, on the beach. It was $29 plus tax.

Jim

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »
I make my own as well. I use 2 and 3" sch40 pvc and cut the bottom. A 10 ft length is ten bucks.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 04:39:16 AM »
Less than $20 for a real nice one from Squidco.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 06:08:40 AM »
I use a Angler's Fish N Mate and love it.  Light weight and I've never had one pull out.  You can find them for around $35 with free shipping.   Verne

http://www.rodrack.com/sand-spikes/50-sand-spike/
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
Additional question:
What are the best lengths?

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
7 ft is good for me. I'll burry it 2 feet deep so I got 5 ft. sticking out the sand. I've got one that's 8ft long.

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 06:20:26 PM »
I currently use a piece of PVC with a 45* cut on the end.  It works ok, but it's kind of a pain getting the rod in and out since the butt end is so long.  Just wondering what everyone else uses and looking for any ideas before I start making some new ones.  I'm thinking of using some aluminum angle and making my own.

Measure how much length of the butt of your rod you want in the PVC pipe. Drill a hole through the PVC pipe,  Insert a bolt through the holes and secure it with a nut.  This way the butt of your rod will not go all the way in the PVC pipe.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 06:30:57 PM »

Measure how much length of the butt of your rod you want in the PVC pipe. Drill a hole through the PVC pipe,  Insert a bolt through the holes and secure it with a nut.  This way the butt of your rod will not go all the way in the PVC pipe.

I do this. It also keeps your spool from sitting on the PVC which ads more tension. I measure it so my reel sits about 6 inches above the top of the spike.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »
Thanks for all the great ideas guys!  8)
One more thing.  Do you all just use your weight to push it into the sand, or bring a mallet? What's the best way to sink it so it stays?

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »
Most have a little welded "wing" to push with your foot. Do not trust low tide sand to hold well.

Mine hold fine high on the shore but the other week at TP on the tidal plain I had a few rod dives as it lost grip.

Jim

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »
In wet sand I push down while sucking the air out the spike.  Sucking the air out really drives it down.

On dry sand I use a small garden hand shovel to dig a hole then fill it.

Each way takes seconds and holds the spike strong. Just remember to take the reel out of gear.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
If the waves wash back and forth past your spike, make sure to check that the sand at the base isn't washing away.