Author Topic: Screw The Hoo (11/1)  (Read 3663 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Screw The Hoo (11/1)
« on: November 01, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »
After an ungodly drinking night, I somehow got up to fish with Squatch for a back to back trip, only this time we were in it to stay local and catch stuff instead of trolling for hours.  The plan was Yellows and Ling.  I had a buddy out trolling for Wahoo and will report back if he got anything.  Unfortunately, the water turned over and got quite cold so they are pretty much out of my range right now.

Steve and I tried to find bait.... and could not find a single mackerel anywhere!  I couldn't even meter any and thankfully Steve picked up a box of squid before we launched just in case something like this happened.

We got out to one of my favorite little piles and saw Frigate Tuna jumping everywhere!  The only issue was we couldn't hook one to save our lives.  Quite frustrating to say the least.  We dropped down some squid and had a mediocre pick of bottom critters when Steve hooked into something a little nicer!

I watched it rise on the meter!

We thought it was a ling or a big sheepshead, but NOPE!

Steve didn't want to pull him for a quick pic, so he unhooked him and thankfully watched it shoot straight down into the depths and never resurface!

We got bit here and there before Steve had something big take his squid!  Only Steve's second lingcod and a fine one at that!

I got some killer video, but need to download it.  I'll post it later tonight for your viewing pleasure.

We moved around and picked up some various quality rockfish.  My red was puking up tuna crabs.

The chuckleheads were a very nice grade too.

I caught a few of these rattlers on both squid and heavy iron.

I finally had to call it quits and tell Steve "Last Drop"...

Well, he was the hot stick today and got another quality Ling!  Way to go Steve!

Well, got meat for a feast tonight and ready to kick it here soon.  Good fishing with you Steve and it was nice to fish rather than troll lately.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Screw The Hoo (11/1)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
Thought you were going to back out when you texted this morning. I was already in the car.

Glad you made it though. I had fun actually catching fish for a change too. Hope you enjoy your feast.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
Looks like a great day out. Probably nice to take a break from zero or hero fishing and catch some purty fish.  What kind of fish was the one you didnt want to pull out of the water?
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
Looks like a great day out. Probably nice to take a break from zero or hero fishing and catch some purty fish.  What kind of fish was the one you didnt want to pull out of the water?

Black Sea Bass (Giant Sea Bass) or (Stereolepis gigas)

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 05:00:47 PM »

Oh damn, nice! Thats definitely on my bucketlist....  Would be an especially sweet catch from the SoCal sand!
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »

Oh damn, nice! Thats definitely on my bucketlist....  Would be an especially sweet catch from the SoCal sand!

I caught 4 in a month off the beach and have 7 total from shore up to 120 pounds.  Sasquatch even has a bigger one than that!

I've caught over 50 from the boat to over 200 pounds.  Super cool fish.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »

Bragger!  ;)

I caught 4 in a month off the beach and have 7 total from shore up to 120 pounds.  Sasquatch even has a bigger one than that!

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »

Bragger!  ;)

Tom is blessed to be cursed by them and Steve's monster from the sand is just rediculous. They are pretty high up on my list.