Author Topic: Swarming Pods (10/28)  (Read 3971 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Swarming Pods (10/28)
« on: October 28, 2015, 06:29:18 AM »
The surf kicked up and some big tides led us to the bay for a Bat Ray session.  We kicked it in full style with a fire and all to kill the chill of a high sixties evening.  ;D

Steve got a screamer fairly early before dark, but his cat-like reflexes failed him getting to the rod in time.  All I could do was get my hands on some bearded clams as nothing wanted the meat.

Bearded Clam

Jim (Spideyjg) showed up and joined us to hopefully help us get something on the sand.  Just then my long rod started a steady clicker out and I had a KELP MONSTER ON!  Jim even taped it at 35 feet or something, but it came with a 3 foot holdfast still attached.  As I was looking through the holdfast, I thought I saw a ton of worms, but quickly realized there were thousands of Brittlestars inside!  I grabbed a few out, but the holdfast was literally writhing with life.

The fire was stoked and roaring when I hear yelling in the background!  It was Steve yelling "OUCH! OUCH!"

He was the only one in bare feet and the "Pods" found him.  They are the Greenhead Flies of the bay and give you nasty bites.  They are a swarm of isopods that make you bleed with every bite and hurt like hell everytime they take a chunk.  I stopped going in barefoot as I'm done with bloody ankles from these things.  They probably laid eggs in Steve's bloodstream and he will be eaten from the inside out by tonight when they hatch.  :o ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkkn1qSYKw

Anyway, back to fishing...

Steve finally had a bite that thankfully hooked himself.  A nice sized Horn Shark hit the sand to break the skunk. 

Well, it was a fun evening even though the big beasts are still MIA, but they are bound to show sooner or later!  We called it at 8:30 as the action was almost non-existent and it was nice getting home early for a change.

Good meeting you Jim.  Steve, until next tide....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:33:42 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Swarming Pods (10/28)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »
Slow in bites but still looked like a nice night out. I'm convinced had I gone I would of gotten that 1 big bite ;)

I've bin getting out of work early and it was bound to happen that I'd get held in late. I still have that itch to soak the long rods, gonna make it happen this week

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
Tom's epic sea serpent. 12 foot looped plus another 9 foot trailing.

I was getting no action on any bait. Even the bait rod got nothing.

Tried my optimistic big honking squid head from one of the really large species in the market. Sucker was probably 6 oz alone.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
That spot has been good for critter fishing. The last time I saw a big bat out of there was when I took my old co-workers fishing a little over a month ago. That's a good spot for foraging at really low tides when the eel grass beds are exposed.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:34:25 AM »
 The fire was nice. The pods weren't. At least I got a horn shark to beat out Nicky's wahoo for the contest.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:15:50 AM »
They should called those horned sharks, salamander sharks instead! Creepy looking things, i wanna catch one:)
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »
Well, at least you guys gave it a go.  Sometimes I wish there was a bay up this way  :D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:57:35 PM »
Well, at least you guys gave it a go.  Sometimes I wish there was a bay up this way  :D

X2

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:29:26 PM »
Well the weather's getting cooler.  They're bound to show up sooner than later.  This time last year the hookup was awesome.  Gotta keep soakin'.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:36:05 PM by Castmaster »

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
Never had the joy of a Pod bite yet. Not sure my toes have even touched MB mud/funk. Friggan creepy  :o :o :o

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »

Cool horn shark and very impressive kelpfish.  Fireside fishing looks fun minus those fly things you guys are talking about. 

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »

Cool horn shark and very impressive kelpfish.  Fireside fishing looks fun minus those fly things you guys are talking about.

Not flies... aquatic Isopods.  Go into the water with bare feet and come out a bloody mess!

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
Are those things gonna be around for the Grinner Gathering? So yall wear waders down there or what?
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »
Are those things gonna be around for the Grinner Gathering? So yall wear waders down there or what?

Boots.  No need to wade, just rubber boots to walk to the waters edge.  Plan A is still meeting in the surf for Sharks if the surf cooperates, but Plan B will be a bonfire and Bat fishing (and Leo's) down in Mission Bay.  I saw them last night, but they only seem love feet and ankles, although we have had Mack Heads totally cleaned out in a matter of 10 minutes because of them when they are bad.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:15:13 PM by Latimeria »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 05:14:38 PM »
Don't go barefoot. Every time I do I regret it.